Bond fifth papers in Maths

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Maths Mum

Bond fifth papers in Maths

Post by Maths Mum »

Hi,
Anyone got any idea what sort of percentage we should be looking to get in these tests.
unsure

bond fifth papers

Post by unsure »

not sure, we live in Kent. My stepson scored between 80 and 98 percent on these. He got a mark of 140 in the Kent 11+. This is the maximum score in Kent. It does not mean he got every question right, but he still had the maximum score possible despite being a September birthday.

Like you I wanted to know what percentage to aim at in all the various practise materials. There does not seem to be an answer. Better to focus on identifying the types of question your child cannot do and work on those, and on building speed and accuracy in what he/she can already do.

And most importantly, remember to practise all the types of question you find in the practice papers relevant to your area e.g. NFER in Kent. And if multiple choice, make sure they have practice in guessing at the end any they have not done - no read to read the question to guess. My stepson found it hard to get his head round that!
maths mum

Post by maths mum »

Thanks ever so much. My daughter is getting between 85 to 98 percent so it seems she is doing ok. I wasn't sure if these tests were too easy. We are also in Kent and have been practising NFER tests as well. Thanks for all the tips. :D

Post by Guest »

Just a quick question re. the fifth papers in Maths. My child is doing these and finding them quite easy. Often gets almost perfect scores with plenty of time to spare. Her maths does seem to be benefiting from them but I worry that they are too easy. Her exam is in January and I don't want to start the actual NFER papers too early. Am I right to carry on with the bond book or is it too easy to be any real use. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
unsure

bond papers

Post by unsure »

I would go through all the NFER test papers yourself and see if there are any types of questions that you think that your child has not covered in Bond, or struggles with. Devise some similar questions yourself to cover these areas so that you can save the practice papers a little longer.

Maybe practice doing two Bond papers at a time to get more the feel of doing a longer lasting exam - from memory the 11+ papers is longer timewise than doing one Bond paper. This will help you see if your child's accuracy improves or declines during the period of a longer exam.

If your child is really bored with the Bond papers then stop for a short while and come back to them later. Take more time on VR and NVR.

I don't really know how the next Bond book up compares with the 11+. Certainly do not think at this stage that you should cover new material that is not in the 11+. If it is the right topics and your child would like to do some harder stuff, why not.

If this is a January exam you are preparing for I would not hold off maths for too long if that is what you choose to do. Speed and accuracy comes hand in hand with regular practice so don't for example take a full month off before the exam.

But if you are well ahead as it sounds, I would certainly make sleep a priority in the fortnight before the exam. A tired child certainly does not perform as well as a well-rested one. I used to find that the difference in score between practice work done in the morning and the evening by my stepson was significant. As the exams are done in the morning, maybe practice in the mornings at weekends? Paradoxically, some children are less switched on in the morning.

Hope all these conflicting suggestions help!!
Karen

Post by Karen »

My son is also working through Bond Fifth papers in Maths and achieving high scores. Because of this, I have decided to give him past papers to practice as well. So far there isn't a drop in score.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for all the advice. My daughter actually likes doing these papers, I just worry that I may be fooling myself that they are helping her. THe problem is, I don't want the start the NFER papers too early as there only seem to be four available. I thought maybe one a week in the month leading up to the exams.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

You could try the Bond 11+ test papers. They are a harder, I think, than the NFER ones. If your daughter still scores well with them, then she should be more than OK with NFER.

Post by Guest »

Great idea thanks.
I'll give these a try! :D
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi

There is a CD due to be launched on this site once the quality assurance has taken place.

The NFER Maths papers have been broken down into 18 question categories.

There are 50 questions for each category.

There is also a bonus pack of material with 500 additional questions covering 25 areas of maths.

In total there will be 1400 multiple choice questions on the CD.

The CD is formatted in the same way as the verbal reasoning CDs.

There will be a free DEMO and the CD will be available as a hard copy or download.

Regards

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now