Year 7 initial tests

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moose

Year 7 initial tests

Post by moose »

I have just received my son's first Y7 report from his GS.
I am not sure how to read them. What would be considered a good level in maths/science/English? He received eg level 4 in D&T. Is it average or is it max you can get for this particular subject since it is the first time they really have it. What level would you expect for music or PE?
Thanks.
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

Hi Moose,

If I remember rightly, it depends on the subject. On her initial year 7 assessment, my dd started out in english, maths & science at either 5a/6c, but other subjects were lower. I remember french/german were level 2 or 3 (as that was as high as they were tested to initially), that the most they could get in geography was a level 4 and so on for the other subjects.

By the end of Yr7 she was level 4 in french, german, PE and a level 5 or 6 in everything else.

Hope this helps

Bexley x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We got a very useful guide showing expected levels so we could judge how well our child was doing - perhaps you could suggest the school issue something similar?
moose

Post by moose »

Thanks.
melinda

Post by melinda »

Blimey, isn't this very early for a report for Year 7?? I wasn't expecting anything til at least Christmas.
It would be nice to get a report, but I wouldn't give it much credence as it so soon after they have started.
moose

Post by moose »

Melinda,
You are right that it is too early to be worried about the results, however I suppose it gives you the estimate of a level at a starting point, so you can monitor kids progress from the very beginning. I was just curious where is my son placed in overall scheme.
melinda

Post by melinda »

Moose, having scoffed at the fact that you had an early report from your son's school - i had one today!!

I was surprised as they have only had half a term and certainly some have just experienced their first real taste of subjects eg chemistry and physics.
I think these first reports should be more encouraging and my poor boy was a bit alarmed that he wasn't getting straight A's!! (as others were so he told me)

I have told him it's something to strive for, but not to worry about these first reports too much - made me a bit anxious though - they seem to expect a lot quite quickly. :o
zorro

Post by zorro »

We have just received effort and achievement grades for the first half-term but they don't get reports until just before the end of the Christmas term.I think it's way too early for reports personally.
melinda

Post by melinda »

Zorro, I guess they were effort and achievement reports, but there were some comments.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Hi Melinda

I tried to PM you when I saw your first post on this to warn you reports were coming but somehow messed up!

I can assure you none of my 3 had straight A's!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now