Newport Girls High - Telford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nervous-mum

Post by nervous-mum »

Hi Forum readers,
Could anybody with any knowledge about the selection process for NGHS enlighten me please? My DD is to sit the exam in December and any info would be greatly received. Also does anyone have a rough idea of the possible pass rates for these grammar schools?.
Many thanks
Nervous Mum
x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

according to the LEA info there are 56 places (up from 32 some years ago) - 272 applied, 32 places were offered to in area girls (out of 81 applying ) and the remainder of the places to OOA girls - 191 applied.

Depends where you live really - if you are in area and pass ( 39% of those who apply pass by the look of it) then you will get in, but of out of area then only 24 of the 191 who applied got in - presumably many more passed.
nervous-mum

Post by nervous-mum »

Thanks Hermunmunster,
I wanted to know what the pass rate for the tests may be, i know they fluctuate year on year but i would like to know what i should get my daughter aiming at ie 80%, 90%? any ideas?
Thanks
Nervous mum
mrshappy

Post by mrshappy »

My daughter passed this exam two years ago. She was getting in the very high 90's on practice papers (we were out of area). I definitely think that if you are out of area you need to be looking at 90% plus, but if you are in area then 80% will probably do. There is talk that due to the credit crunch the number applying will be higher as more parents are looking at grammar school rather than independant. Who knows!
nervous-mum

Post by nervous-mum »

Thanks Mrs happy,
Your right i think, i have had conversations with the mother of an independant school child who believes there is around 500 applications this year! eek, we are in area thankfully and DD is getting 95% on most of her practise tests now so fingers, toes and arms crossed as she fell in love with the school at open day!
By the way you say your daughter passed, does she go or did you decline the offer?
mrshappy

Post by mrshappy »

Hi Nervous-mum don't be nervous mum, be confident mum, sounds like she will be fine with those marks! We did refuse the place, and she attends a selective private school. It was such a difficult decision, especially after the months of angst wondering if she would get a place. I just feel that you have to go on gut instinct about a school, and we had a very strong feeling that the school she goes to was the right place. Good luck, I don't envy you the next few months!

Mrs Happy
nervous-mum

Post by nervous-mum »

Thanks for your encouragement,
I wish i could go to sleep and wake up on the 2nd march next year! haha. Can your DD remember what the papers were like? have heard 2nd is much harder than 1st which is similar to last 2 bond papers?
Thanks again!
mrshappy

Post by mrshappy »

Morning! As far as I remember my daughter found the papers much easier than the bond practice papers she had been doing, and the nfer 11+ papers. She came out of the exam saying it was easy. Don't know if they have changed the format at all in two years. I really think if you are in area and your daughter is getting around 90% she will be fine. Just be prepared for the ridiculous long queue and chaos of exam morning!

mrshappy x
nervous-mum

Post by nervous-mum »

Yes have heard about the chaos on exam day! oh well bring on the 6/12 thankyou v.much for your advice. x