Maths - Letts SATS papers

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nou

Maths - Letts SATS papers

Post by Nou »

My daughter goes to a school which does not follow the National Curriculum or do SATS. She is applying to a grammer school and also a comprehensive which both have a maths exam as part of the entrance procedure.

She is doing the maths test for the comp at the end of November (it is just a banding test). I have just bought some Letts SATs practise papers for her to try as I assume it covers the range of topics or question types found in KS2, and I was worried she would be thrown by a type of question she hadn't found before, but she finds them very easy. Is it just Letts papers or are SATS exams much easier than 11+? She has also been practising old 11+ papers from various private schools as she is applying to Henrietta Barnett which sets it's own test.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

The SATs are definitely easier than the 11+. The 11+ questions are harder and some topics like algebra are hardly taught in state primary schools. Your daughter may well be ahead of the national curriculum for maths.

I think that maths in state primary schools are ridiculously easy, but it is another topic.
loulou

Post by loulou »

Yes they are much easier. I know of children who have failed to get through the first round of tests for Dame Alice Owens and Latymer who have sailed through SATS with level 5's. If your daughter is doing well with her 11+ practice she should find SATS papers a piece of cake.

Post by Guest »

I don't agree that SATs are easier - it just depends on the individual child. Children can pass their 11+ achieving low level 4 Sats scores and other children who get level 5s pass their 11+. In my opinion the brighter of my two children failed his 11+ (scored a low 113) but went on to get all As in his GCSEs from a 'failing' secondary school whereas my daughter sailed through her 11+ but is struggling at grammar school. Some children can't get their head round Verbal reasoning however bright they are.
loulou

Post by loulou »

Thats a fair comment but it probably depends upon which enterance exams your child is sitting. If Nou is looking at Henrietta Barnet they set papers in maths and english in addition to reasoning papers. These papers set by individual schools are often considered harder (from the children I've spoken to in the past) than year 6 SATS papers. The competition is also pretty fierce with only 1 in 10 making it through the selection process in schools like Latymer so I would be surprised if a child passed the exams for a school like that but only made level 4's in their SATS. However, from what you have said it sounds like a different case for children who only sit verbal reasoning papers.

Well done to your son for doing so well in his GCSE's. Yet more proof that children can be incredibly successful without being at a grammar school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now