AQA english "literature"! GCSE

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Does anyone else have any concerns about the charming poem by Carol Ann Duffy in the AQA anthology.
It is entitled "Havisham" and explores, amongst other dubious themes, the subject of necrophilia. Just the kind of filth I do not want in my house for my younger children to read. DD is only just 15 and I do not especially want her nose pushed in the gutter either.
You may remember that the same poet and exam board were in the news recently with another offering about knives - a poem DD says is as nothing compared to this one.
I quote from an essay designed to assist the reader in fully appreciating this lovely poem (by Janet Lewison):
"In Duffy's poem, both are brought together in this final meeting, their "long slow honeymoon" where physical violence ruptures ******** stasis in a fantasy of necrophilia. The "stiffness" of the male corpse makes Havisham's final "victim" easier to break off!As havisham's voice "breaks" orgasmically in this ecstasy of revenge, so the poem ends in consummation and unfettered desire"
Maybe I am narrow minded but I do not want this arrant filth in my house or presented to my young children
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I hope if they are using this poem it is in conjunction with the Charles Dickens Novel; it is not a piece that should be used in isolation. Personally, I think its more an A'level or uni piece and I would hope that it was for higher tier GCSE pupils who have higher levels of maturity, understanding and thinking.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

No-itis not being used in conjunction with Dickens - probably a good thing if there is an afterlife as far as Dickens equanimity goes!!
Mary Whitehouse

Post by Mary Whitehouse »

I can assure you there IS an afterlife, and disGUSTing, FILTHY people like this Duffy are going to regret their disgusting filthy ways when they meet me in it. I didn't like that "Mercy" song either - - it is filthy and disGUSTing.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Havisham

Beloved sweetheart bast**d. Not a day since then
I haven't wished him dead, Prayed for it
so hard I've dark green pebbles for eyes,
ropes on the back of my hands I could strangle with.

Spinster. I stink and remember. Whole days
in bed cawing Nooooo at the wall; the dress
yellowing, trembling if I open the wardrobe;
the slewed mirror, full-length, her, myself, who did this

to me? Puce curses that are sounds not words.
Some nights better, the lost body over me,
my fluent tongue in its mouth in its ear
then down till I suddenly bite awake. Love's

hate behind a white veil; a red balloon bursting
in my face. Bang. I stabbed at a wedding-cake.
Give me a male corpse for a long slow honeymoon.
Don't think it's only the heart that b-b-b-breaks.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Thank you Bad Dad. What a beautiful, moving poem. Made me cry.

I'm not too keen on Janet Lewison's interpretation though...
shottery mum

AQA english "literature" GCSE

Post by shottery mum »

DD has read your comments and takes great exception to T.I.P.S.Y. stating that she will have increased intellectual maturity when she is older. Leaving aside her already excellent grades and teachers who say that her mind is outstanding, she feels that even 5 years ago she could have told anyone that the emperor has no clothes on!!!
It is apparent, she thinks, to anyone with half a brain, that the poems written by the truly ghastly duffy are arrant nonsense - pretentious subversive demeaning degrading - the kind of thing the idiots at the bottom the class might write for homework in an attempt to annoy the teacher ( the last comment courtesy of DH).
She thinks that anyone who is emotionally moved by this verbiage has serious problems of their own!
Just in case people out there imagine that we are all ignorant I do have an A-level in english (A) but I can recognise rubbish when I see it!
T.i.p.s.y

Re: AQA english "literature" GCSE

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

shottery mum wrote:DD has read your comments and takes great exception to T.I.P.S.Y. stating that she will have increased intellectual maturity when she is older.
I assume this is a joke! :? If not then I will go and see if my 7 year old will be able to dissect it because he is very intelligent and has such a wealth of life experience!!! :roll:
shottery mum

AQA english "literature" GCSE

Post by shottery mum »

It's the "wealth of life experience" we want to avoid!
Seriously, what DD is saying is that rubbish is rubbish and fairly readily identified at her age.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

But thats just a childs narrow mind. AND before anyone jumps down my throat because I said children have narrow minds, its not a criticism. Compared to an adult a childs ideas and thoughts are limited because they have not experienced life. I think what I might have viewed as rubbish at 16 I can now view from differing perspectives.

I actually feel nothing for this poem. It's well written but it doesn't stir me. We let our kids watch more crass on TV than they will get from this poem.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now