Bursary

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
reginaphalangie

Bursary

Post by reginaphalangie »

Hello all! Just a question or two about bursaries for indie schools. Have looked on a few websites of the schools i am interested in sending DS1 and they all mention bursaries but not many go into detail about how to access bursaries. When i was at indie school it was assisted places but i guess the terminology must have changed. My hubby and I earn around £55 k a year jointly - would this make us eligible for a bursary in anyones experience.. we also have a severely disabled son and the additional costs over and above that of raising a normal child(replacing bedding, clothes, broken household items)- i wonder if this could be taken into account? thanks for any help:) :) :) :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi

the assisted places went I am afraid, most support is from the school itself and varied hugely though I think if you search you will find that there are plenty of comments on the board about how low the cut off point is for support ie people who aren't earning loads are still not able to get support or at least not much support, some schools are very up front about the levels eg KES in Birmingham

http://www.kes.bham.sch.uk/letters/ap_scale.pdf

they are probably more generous than most as they are an extermely wealthy foundation so others may not be able to match them
reginaphalangie

Post by reginaphalangie »

Thanks hermann :) :) :) :)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Not ignoring the question - but I already sent you a PM some days ago.
I think you should expect to answer many detailed questions about your finances - we certainly did for Rugby.
We will also be expected to reapply every March as, obviously, people's circumstances change.
guest42

Post by guest42 »

I think some schools would take into account your household's extra expenses but realistically I think you will find it difficult to qualify for a bursary.

Other options-

Try for scholarships-academic and otherwise. Hard to come by but not means tested. Even though many scholarships (like ours!!) are now limited to 10% it all helps.

Else you do what many other people do. Downsize the house and car on the basis that a good education for your child is priceless!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

It depends on the school fees. The more expensive, the more likely you'll get a bursary. Many that I have seen work like this.

Income - (Mortgage payment + loan interest repayments)

With the figure left they deduct 70% and if the remaining 30% covers school fees then you would get nothing. The 70% is an average figure for bills, food etc...

This is a crude way to describe a more elaborate process we went through so they would take into consideration the expenditure you have with your other child, plus equity in your house etc, which means you could get a larger or smaller bursary depending on individual circumstances. I think you will get something with 55k as we did when we earned slightly more, although it was one income so it received more tax.