Multiplication problem

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sycamore

Multiplication problem

Post by sycamore »

Can somebody please help sort out a difference in opinion between dd and myself?

She has been taught the grid method for multiplication at school, which I think is a vast improvement on the old long multiplication method.

However, her tutor (bless him) has taught her the old fashioned way, saying it's much faster.

Which way is best? Please help!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I can see advantages of both ways.

The grid method does work but there are 2 huge downsides.
1. It takes too long. 2. There is more room for error.

The old fashioned way is so much quicker.
fm

Post by fm »

I usually teach them side by side if they have already been taught the grid method. I like the children to understand that they are, in fact, exactly the same. You are just adding the numbers as you go.
So I will do the sum simultaneously with both methods so they can see this. The gradually I ditch the grid and go for the composite because it is basically faster.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The grid method is not slower - I've proved it over and over again - it's much easier to check too.

It links to algebra in a way long multiplication does not. I use it to teach factorising quadratics in KS3, completing the square in KS4 and factorising polynomials in KS5 - :D
quizzer

Post by quizzer »

Grid method is easier and less room for error and easier to double check , especially for for larger multiplications sums..probably not for the shorter
ones, i.e 3 numbers by two numbers.

DS will only use the grid method can do most of the two numbers by three numbers in his head.

His school teacher tried to make him stop doing the grid method because she only taught the children the long multiplication method.

We sent a letter in saying we were happy with him using the grid method and as long as the answer was correct she should not force on him a method he disliked and was not suited to him.

Had to help DD who did not like maths at all to gain a GSCE pass and she also found the grid method to her liking and much easier the the long multiplication method.........she gained her GCSE easily in the end.

Quizzer
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

I taught DD the old fashioned way and she immediately dumped the grid method that was completely doing her head in! The turn around was amazing... confidence restored.

but...

it's whatever works best for you...

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We have had this discussion before on here - the trouble with the 'old method' is that it does not reinforce place value and children forget what they are supposed to do latter on in Secondary.

It does not help with algebra later on and, therfore, the link to number is not made.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Thanks everyone for your input.
I must admit I agree with Guest 55 for all the reasons she gave, at least the ones I understood :oops: (gave up Maths after AS). I certainly can't agree that the grid method is slower, and even if it is for some people, isn't it better to spend 2 minutes on a problem and get it right than 1 minute and get it wrong?

Took dd to have a chat with her teacher after school yesterday. She helpfully pointed out a few occasions where had made silly mistakes using the long multiplication method and asked dd to identify where she had gone wrong, which she couldn't, although I suspect it was her old enemy, place value!

Think she might finally have come round to my way of thinking at last. Now if I can only persuade her to read the questions properly.........
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now