When NFER Paper to start first?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yus786

When NFER Paper to start first?

Post by yus786 »

Got our papers today - 11A to 11D.

I read somewhere that some are harder than others.... which one should we start first?

thanks
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi Yus,

With NVR, you may want to start with 11D first as it is easier. I never noticed that this was the case with VR. Maybe I am wrong though.
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Yus786,

On the NVR papers Test A is generally found harder than the rest.

But I haven't really noticed that with the VR papers. So starting from Test A is what I did with my DS.

Also worth mentioning that NFER VR tests are easier than papers from some other publishers.

Gilly
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Yus786

My children find Test A a tad harder than the others, you can leave till last if you want. Personally I do not bother as I leave Nfer till last in my regime the children are therefore well and truly practised by this stage.

The tests only contain 15 types, so if your area uses 21 you need to top up with HIKNOS questions [types as identified by IPS]

Patricia
yus786

Post by yus786 »

Thanks all.

The exam's in Jan, and we've been practising various other papers since Sep 1st.

Would i be OK to introduce the NFER at this stage?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Yus786

Whenever I change publishers I tend to find a dip in scores, hence I like to leave Nfer till last, allowing the child to practise in the same format.

Which publishers have you used so far?

Patricia
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Patricia,

I knew that his scores would dip when changing to a diffrrent publisher, but it never dawned on me that that was the reason!
yus786

Post by yus786 »

patricia wrote:Dear Yus786

Whenever I change publishers I tend to find a dip in scores, hence I like to leave Nfer till last, allowing the child to practise in the same format.

Which publishers have you used so far?

Patricia
Hi Patricia

I've used stuff from this website beginning with C (i think we're not allowed to mention it here?!?)

I've also completed the books by AE Publications (Stephen Curran)

And we've also done the 'How to' by Bond

Thanks again
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Yus789

If the VR test is Nfer [now GL assesment] multiple choice, relevant publishers include:

IPS, AFN, The Tutors, Bright Sparks [by S.Daughtry] Walsh. Bond are not relevant.

AFN are at the easiest end Walsh more challenging. Walsh do use brackets in types G and I [IPS identification] these should be ignored as Nfer do not use brackets [the questions will still be mathematically correct.]

Patricia
deb489

A question for Patricia

Post by deb489 »

We have followed the route from easiest to hardest and our DS has been using standard format. Before his two nfer type 11+ exams he was scored over 90% on the nfer practice papers in VR.

The last 11+ exam is nfer type multiple choice. We purchased the Walsh practice papers and we thought he would get higher percentage, being multiple choice but he seems to be getting 90%. Is this on target because we are of an opinion that because its a multiple choice exam he will need to be hitting above 95% for his last exam.

In your opinion is 90% a good score on Walsh Multiple Choice papers in VR.

Many Thanks

Debbie :?