At last a place to talk 11+ !!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shaann

At last a place to talk 11+ !!

Post by shaann »

Hi, I am a little late finding this place!! DD took test last week and this is my first to do so.Post test nobody is talking!!?? Before it was test,test and more test but now its as if it never happened.Thats how I found you,I thought that someone somewhere must be talking about it......or was there no test and its all a dream!!!!!!??
An experienced friend did say people clam up at this and result time regardless of good or bad performance/results.DD said it was the same at school...as if it never happened.Have other people found this too?
I suppose its quite an awkward time...thankfully only 2 weeks,well one now.
Our story by the way....DD got 100 vrq at yr 5 school test.I didn`t really know what it meant until end of Sept when at teacher said you need at least 115 for grammar.We dithered and debated and looked at schools and then decided to look at what the problem was with the low vrq (she is quite bright)....it was a time problem.She would get half way find a really hard Q that she refused to let get the better of her then the time would be gone.Anyway we got the Grammar form in on the 17th!!! and then worked really hard on getting her to let go....aren`t they stubborn sometimes!!Did 4 practice papers and she was getting 80-95% with the new regime.On the 8th she thinks she did ok... 3 q`s not done on paper 1 but completed paper 2.Really pleased with her.Strong believer in silver linings and whatever is meant to be,so what ever happens She is the best!! Best wishes to all of you waiting people,and thanks for listening soooo nice to actually talk unlike in this tight lipped world I find myself in!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to talk about it. :wink: That is pretty much what happened in our playground, although there are few people I talk to there at the best of times.
On the 8th she thinks she did ok... 3 q`s not done on paper 1 but completed paper 2.Really pleased with her.
That sounds pretty much as if she totally got over her 'stay on question until complete' problem. I've heard of a lot of children who answered considerably less questions than that (and less who answered them all).

Does anyone know approximately what percentage of questions need to be answered correctly to get a pass? I know that there will be standardisation to take into account, and different weightings at different schools. This isn't a trick question - just pure curiosity.
Capers
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi Shaann, and welcome to the forum! although you have been through the test process, this is still a great place for support!

I found this place just before my DD took the test last year and I'm still here! We try to be a friendly bunch, and if you want some real fun take a trip to rehab! :lol:

When you post (especially a long one),it makes it far easier to read if you put loads of paragraphs in your writing, well for me anyway, as my eyes find it hard with one huge one! :roll:

Good luck with your DD's results, I too believe in what is meant to be will be.
shaann

Post by shaann »

Sorry about the paragraphs(lack of !!!) been in silence for so long it all just came out with no thought for presentation!
Orson

Post by Orson »

Capers123

I reckon a pass is about 60 correct answers out of 85 (70% approx)

This mark wouldn't necessarily earn the offer of a place, of course.

Orson
shaann

Post by shaann »

I did a few rough calculations of my own,obviously not exact without the range or exact standard deviation,but I thought.....

paper 1 you would need 64 out of 85 to get 105 vrq

paper 2 60 out of 80 to get the 105.

In my head I am thinking you need about 70-75 paper 1 and 65+ on paper 2.Thats to get IN not to pass.

Pates would therefore require scores of 78+on p1 and 73+ on p2!!!!

These are just MY rough workings and have not taken into account the variables but thought I would just share them with you.

If I am totally of the mark please let me know....the lower the figures the better !!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Thanks for that, both.

It would be so interesting to see the scores that DD gets...
Capers
shaann

Post by shaann »

I have been reading lots of posts and am a little confused.!!!

DD took test at Denmark but as yet we don`t know what we want.I ticked all for a reply as all are a possibility.Wanted to see what we can have before we decide what we want.Trying to avoid disappointment but also still unsure.

Anyway by sitting it at Denmark will any of the others have me on a black list/take a dim view if I subsequently go elsewhere and didn`t take it with them?

In the past there has been rivalry between schools,just wondered if your choice of test venue had any impact anywhere ?

We are genuine floating voters.Lots of quick thinking to be done after Friday.
Jen'smum

Post by Jen'smum »

No don't worry. You can sit the test at any of the venues and will get results for all the schools you nominated to share the results with.

I had assumed the results would come in one letter but apparently each school sends a separate letter. I guess this makes sense as each school's standardisation will be different, dependant on the cohort which sat the test there.

A pass is a pass wherever your dd sat the test and if you select a particular school for your child and they have reached the required standard, then they will be treated just like other applicants no matter where they sat the test. Obviously though you can only apply to the schools with whom you opted to share the scores. (someone will correct me if I am wrong on that I'm sure).

I know a few people in your position who weren't sure of their final preference and so just had to choose one venue. Schools say they prefer you to sit the test at your preferred school but at the end of the day they all want the highest scoring children they can get. No one should be penalised because of where they sat the test.
Bring me sunshine ....
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now