Entering UCS at the age of 15

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Alan321

Entering UCS at the age of 15

Post by Alan321 »

Hello
We are a family moving back to the UK after a 10 year absence.
As our older son went to UCS we would like our younger son to go there as-well.
Is it possible to enter UCS at the age of 15?
And how does UCS treat kids with ADD?
Our child is highly intelligent with a very high IQ but he is currently going to a state school in Israel and he isnt doing very well becuse the system just dosnt work for him...
Thank you,
Alan
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

It's unlikely that a place will be available because this school generally has more applicants than places. The next stage would be post GCSE as they take more pupils into the sixth form, however they may make exceptions as you have links to the school, so it is worth asking. As for ADD, I cannot answer that, but my friends son had it for years and in the last year has changed his diet and his extreme behaviour has stopped. I'm sure you've researched all of this, but just a thought in case you hadn't. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tipsy

ADD is not the same as ADHD - diet is unlikely to have an impact
zorro

Post by zorro »

Actually it does - also fish oil supplements helped my DD enormously.
Alan321

Post by Alan321 »

Hi
Thank you evreyone i have another question:
Is it common for kids at UCS to come to school with a lap-top?
Is it even possible?
Thank you
Alan
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I don't know if you need to bring your own or if they provide them but boys are assessed when they enter and can use laptops if its deemed necessary. UCS, compared to some of the other selective independents is better for dealing with SEN.
Alan321

Post by Alan321 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I don't know if you need to bring your own or if they provide them but boys are assessed when they enter and can use laptops if its deemed necessary. UCS, compared to some of the other selective independents is better for dealing with SEN.
Hi
Im sorry for my ignorance but i dont really know what SEN stands for... Do you mind explaining?
Thank you
Alan
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Special Educational Needs, but that doesn't necessarily mean an extreme need, it could be Genius child with mild dyslexia.
Alan321

Post by Alan321 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Special Educational Needs, but that doesn't necessarily mean an extreme need, it could be Genius child with mild dyslexia.
Thank you for all of your help.
I do have another question
Does the fact that my older son went there for two years between the ages of 11-13 help me with admission for my younger son.
He wasnt expaled or anything we just moved to Israel so he coudnt keep on learning there.
Thank you
Alan
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

It may help, but only unofficially. :wink: I would definitely mention it as it can't dp any harm.