Scandal over testing at Slough Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sarah

Scandal over testing at Slough Grammar

Post by Sarah »

My son will be doing the test at Slough Grammar tomorrow and after reading about the scandal over in the Slough Observer I'm not sure what to do.

The article talked about Slough Grammar "putting the whole system into jepody" over results last year. Will it affect my son's chances of getting in and what will the pass mark be?

I do wonder, if Slough Grammar is letting in pupils who got scores "well below" the pass mark is it really a grammar school?

Is it too late for me to try for other grammars - obviously we'll still do the test tomorrow at Slough but can we transfer our options at his stage?

Not being from Slough I feel a bit "out of the loop"

Help!

Sarah

sorry for the cross posting - I'm getting desperate
chad

Post by chad »

I have edited this post as it has come to light that one poster has been posting using a multitude of names and all posts have in some way commented in a derogatory fashion about Slough Grammar. Some of the most libellous have been removed but this thread and another from last year (iffy posts) must be taken as only 1 persons view.

I have read an article that said that Slough grammar had admitted some students that didn't pass the Slough Consortium 11+.
The 'putting the whole system into jeopardy' was a quote not a journalistic fact. Quotes can be reported without evidence to back it up!!!

The article went on to say that they transferred from another area (after passing the 11+ in that area).

This (I believe ) sometimes happens if the school accepts the standard of work.
I moved grammars when I was 11 ( a long, long time ago) from Hatfield down to the West Country without taking another test.
I don't know the details in the cases that the article referred to.
I have also heard of students getting in on appeal if they passed one area but not another.
This happened last year - I have knowledge of it happening at Herschel and at a bucks grammar.
As the Bucks/Slough areas are so close (and children sit both tests) I can see how passing one area and not another may mean that the child although passing an 11+ may not pass for their chosen area/ school and will appeal or transfer if they can.

If it is a different article you are referring to then I cannot comment.

If you are unsure then I would e-mail Slough Grammar to ask for their stand on the article or even speak to the LEA.

I will say that my son started at SG in September. He is extremely happy and (although finding the work a step up from his primary) seems to be learning a great deal. He has also seemed to grow in confidence and maturity.

I was unsure about choosing SG last year ( some very iffy posts by people that seemed not not want to back up any statements) but went with my instinct and 2 months in I am happy with my choice.
very curious

Post by very curious »

which paper is this scandal in and what does it say
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

This post has been edited after it has been established that comments from this thread, and signed with different pseudonyms (including Sarah, Phil, Tone), have in fact the same origin. The most offensive posts have been removed, and the others posts need to be read in context.

The newspaper article refers to two year 7 children who, allegedly, have gained a place through a transfer from another grammar instead of a pass for the Slough 11+.

As answer to questions about the school, and as the parent of a child who started at SG this September, I have to say that I am so far very happy with the school. Here's some comments, and my first impressions

- About the intake level in Maths: (I don’t know the details of the other subjects):
Pupils have been doing tests in the firsts weeks of the term to establish their entry level. The Maths were purposely set to a very high level to distinguish between levels 6 a, b and c, because more than half of the pupils were level 6 plus.

- The staff is very friendly towards parents and pupils. We have had several requests that have nee answered promptly and helpfully.

- The friendly approach does not prevent the discipline to be strictly enforced.

- The teaching is good, and my son enjoys the lessons.

- Pupil’s progress are closely monitored and reported to parents.

- It is a very dynamic school that uses innovative practices in many areas such as: the International baccalaureate, the KS3 in two years, leading edge activities on Wednesday afternoon. (Extra curriculum activities such as sport, languages, games, etc. Very successful with my son so far).

- The only negative aspect for us at present is that the accommodation is quite cramped, specially the canteen. The school has applied for building permission to extend their premises and hopefully, this issue will be sorted.

Hope this helps

Catherine
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Dear Sarah,

.. Post edited because it was referring to a post that has now been deleted....
Good luck to your son(...for today?? I thought that the tests in grammar schools were Saturday.)

Regards
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi

Don't want to get involved in the Slough debate, but thought some people may be interested in the following.

A student sat the 11+ and failed, he wasn't close.

The parents paid for him to attend an independent school for one year then had him transferred to a grammar school without him having to sit another entrance test.

He struggled for the next four years, achieving mediocre GCSE results and notoriety for being disruptive.

Even though his GCSE results were lower than the grammar school's own stated requirements he was allowed to enrol on A level courses.

Due to lack of attendance, poor standard of work and disruptive behaviour it was eventually suggested that it was not worth him completing A levels at the school.

Decisions that were made by the parents, the schools and the LEA did this boy no favours.

I don't know how widespread this scenario is, but I am sure that parents across the country will attempt to get their children into a grammar school by any means. Sometimes this is not in the best interest of the child.

Regards

Mike Edwards
patricia

Post by patricia »

In Bucks you cannot enter a grammar school with a pass from another county. The child MUST sit an 11 plus, set by the LEA or a test set by the grammar school the child wants to enter.

I am not sure, however I believe the slough consortium also had the same rules, hence the uproar.

Patricia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Dear Patricia,

The rules are different in Slough.

This is an extract of the admission policy for Herschel grammar:

>>No child will be admitted to the school, other than at the start of Year 7, unless there are available places and:

(i) they are transferring from another grammar school, or

(ii) they have not already taken the 11+ test, reside in the area (as defined by 10 below) and are successful in the school's entrance examination. >>

http://herschel.slough.digitalbrain.com ... onsPolicy/

Unlike in Bucks, there is not 12+, 13+ etc.. in Slough
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Catherine

Your quote from clause 6 is for pupils entering other than the beginning of year 7 [ and higher year groups ]The 'uproar' concerns children entering at the start of y7, with passes from another county.

Patricia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Dear Patricia and all,

The way I read Rule 6 it says that children can be transferred from other grammars without testing after the start of year 7.

If the parents had applied for a transfer from another grammar school after the start of year 7, just a few months later, the school would have more clearly followed the rules.
We do not know the exact facts about these admissions, but it is entirely possible that Slough Grammar had followed the correct procedure for transfers between secondary schools. The news article says that the primary school was contacted in september.

I have heard several versions of this story so far. It seems that emotions are running high, and that facts are replaced with rumours with a life of their own.

There will be an official enquiry by education officials who will know all the rules and facts. Let's wait and see.

As far as I am concerned, I still believe in 'innocent until proven guilty'.