chances of place for ooc

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

chances of place for ooc

Post by 40 »

As the % of children being selected this year is slightly higher, does that mean the % of ooc being offered places goes down, or does it go on distance regardless? for example we are 2 miles from our first choice school but ooc so would a place be offered say 3miles into bucks before 2miles ooc.

Also we are not expecting to be offered 1st choice so would that come under appeals or do I just go on a waiting list?

many many thanks, I'm sure you are all feeling exhausted by today, I know I am!

b
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Blanca

If the figures published in the Telegraph yesterday are true (and they seem to have been provided by Admissions themselves) the tested cohort was absolutely stable this year. Thus, the higher pass rate means that there are around 70 extra children who qualified this year.

Whether that affects you and other OoCs will depend on where they live - and where all the others live, of course! Geographic blips can appear in the system quite unexpectedly.

Catchment children will always take preference over OoC I'm afraid. A child living 10 miles away, but in catchment, would take priority over a child living 2 miles OoC.

If you are not offered your first choice school you can both Appeal and go on the waiting list. Even if the Appeal is unsuccessful you can remain on the waiting list for further allocation rounds, right up until the last day before term starts, if you wish. The figures can change a fair bit in that time.

If you take a look here you will see the figures for March 3rd 08 compared to August 29th:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plu ... rofile.php

Hope that helps.

Sally-Anne
[color=#FFFFFF][size=50]http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk[/size][/color]

Post by 40 »

Thanks Sally-Anne

We live in hope!!

Thanks as always x

b
sam1310

Post by sam1310 »

Hi, Sally-Anne and 40(B, Blanca)
My first post here. We are OOC.
I have been reading comments and help for last 3 months. This is since I have started preparing my child for test. We are preparing for October 2009. It was my wish for him to go to GS initialy. But lately his attitude is definitely very positive towards the idea of going to GS. He is very able, keen to do it and reading books in endless number. We have bought all material recommended by Patricia. But my hart is so in fear that even if he scores top scores, we live really far away. It is 17.5 miles from door to door to our nearest GS. We are quite honest with him and told him that there is a chance that he will not get the place. His attitude is that he will re-sit 12+ until they gave him place in the school.
So, yes we are all ready for very rough roller coaster and lot of stress and worries, as we don't have suitable back up school.
Do you know of any child admitted to a GS so far away?
Thank you
sam
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sam

You are wise to be cautious and to manage his expectations.

If you look on the link I posted to 40/Blanca, above, you will see that there are a number of GS that say "All offered". That means that there were enough places for every child, regardless of where they lived. Theoretically, a child living in Timbuktu would have received a place at one of those schools! :lol:

You will also see that, once all the rounds of allocations were complete in August 2008, RGS allocated up to 18.5 miles from the school.

I am afraid that your chances of a place through the 12+ are almost zero, as there will be very few places for 2010, and they will go to children living much closer to the schools than you. The only option you would have, if he passed the test, would be a transfer appeal. The success rate for late grammar transfer appeals is around 50%, although being so far out of catchment is likely to reduce your chances.

Are you able to tell me which school you are hoping for?

Sally-Anne
sam1310

Post by sam1310 »

Hi Sally-Anne
Thanks for a quick replay. It’s shame we don’t live in Timbukty:D we might be at better luck with our chosen school.
At present the school which my son has fallen in love is The Royal Latin. We took him for the open evening (one year earlier than we suppose to) and he said that he felt that he was in heaven when we were there. Since then he is working like mad. He really clicked. Hence we thought of moving home to Buckingham, but Credit Crunch is stopping any of these ideas.

Sam
rachelmary

Post by rachelmary »

Hi

I pm'd you but not sure it went! We are hoping for the Royal Latin, however this year only people living 8.2 miles away got in, usually its 10 or 11 miles (we are 9.3!!) so are hoping as my son has just passed 11 plus and wants to go there.

Also worth considering is Sir Henry Floyd in Aylesbury as long as there is transport from where you live, we fell in love with that too but its our second choice as it is further away

good luck!
Mum of 3
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sam

Oh dear - RLS will be a serious problem for you. I have to honestly say that you stand virtually no chance at all from such a distance away.

Given that selling a house right now is not viable, perhaps you could consider renting in Buckingham in the first instance, and then move permanently when the property market settles down?

Sally-Anne
sam1310

Post by sam1310 »

Hi Rachel,

I have not received your pm. Perhaps you could try again. Good luck with your hopes for Royal Latin. 8.2 miles mean that we are just 9.3 miles out of it.

Sir Henry Floyd is much further away for us too, but we will have to see.

Hi Sally-Anne

I was afraid you are going to say that. But we do not have any closer GS than RLS. It has just happened that our son loved it as well.

Every option we will consider just for happiness of this hard working boy.

Sam

Thank you both for help and support
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Can I say that you will very likely get a place at the Floyd.
I also agree that RLS is beyond reach. You need to put it first and then appeal - I would not hold much chance of success though as their PAN has increased by six to 174 and you would need a very strong argument to convince a panel.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now