Pates 120

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mars139

Pates 120

Post by mars139 »

Another new person to this site. We are in the incredibly fortunate position that our DD has been notified she is in the top 120 for Pates. I just want to check does anyone know of anyone who was in the top 120, put Pates as their 1st choice and then didn't get in?

Also a question for any parent who currently has children there. Are there school buses that come from Stroud?
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
mars139

Post by mars139 »

Thanks that's useful to know, I'll ask at the school.
Sackboy

Post by Sackboy »

A minibus runs to Stroud - I believe it is approx £150 a month - but also that places aren't guaranteed. All travel details will be at the parent meeting after places have been allocated as well as the chance to get in touch with other parents in the area for the possibility of lift share.
Hope that helps!
staycalm

Post by staycalm »

There is also a very reliable bus to Cheltenham, the 46, which leaves from Merrywalks in Stroud and drops at the Promenade in Cheltenham.
The 7.30 bus gets you there for 8.15 in the morning.
It's an hourly service through the day.
mum3

Post by mum3 »

Another Pate's mum here. I am sure you will get a place if your DD is in top 120 and you put it 1st on the pref form.
I can't see a reason why you wouldn't!

Also for those parents in the top 160, what is to stop you putting Pate's first and then other schools for which they have passed second? And then if you don't get Pate's, you will authomatically get the second preference you put down. Or are you jeopardising the place at, say, the Gloucester grammar schools if you put them second, even though you have been told you are in the top 120?

(There will be quite a lot of movement in all the schools, as a few at Pate's may also be sitting tests/scholarships for the private sector and may not take up the places although the 'credit crunch' could affect those parents).

Otherwise, I can't see you have anything to lose if you really want Pate's!! Hope this makes sense.
mars139

Pates 120

Post by mars139 »

Thanks to all for that useful info about the buses, and for the reassuring comments about getting a place. Much appreciated!
Milla

Post by Milla »

Have to say here that Pates is nowhere near the Prom, so it'll entail another bus, but there's bound to be a school one so do ring the school.
gloucsteach

getting there

Post by gloucsteach »

I was there and heard that over half come by bus so there must be some that are good!

Oh and I was told that the top 120 letter is a guarantee! Lucky