interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Becky

interviews

Post by Becky »

Can anyone provide a web-link or web-site for help with preparing for interviews please?

I know virtually nothing about it and would just like to know in general what sort of subject areas and types of questions are asked.

I know it must vary considerably from school to school, but here must be certain common denominators.

Many thanks for your help.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I can't tell you of a specific site but there are some general things that an interviewer is looking for:

Personality - shy, confident etc
Personal interests - how sparky are they when discussing an interest and how much knowledge do they have of that interest
Lateral thinking - if asked a question such as what would you do with a million pounds

and they are really trying to see if a child has been coached either in interview techniques or academic tutoring. So if you're going to coach then coach them to pretend they are thinking of an answer. I have a friend whose child went to an interview and they asked her why she had come to the school to be interviewed. She said it was"preparation for another school" :shock: , needless to say she didn't get in! :lol:

Personally I'm of the belief that a school should see a child warts and all and if they don't want them then the school didn't suit the child. I don't coach for exams and teachers with years of experience will be able to tell in the first 2 minutes of talking to a child if they are going to do well socially at their school. I also think a child can get stressed or nervous trying to remember everything that they have been told to say or how to act in an interview and therefore won't be relaxed and at their best.
Thea

Post by Thea »

Tipsy - lol @ the child revealin git was practice for another school! Must be highly amusing for the interviewer, tho' obviously not a winner response!
Best Regards,
Thea
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thea I sent you a pm ages ago and its still stuck in my outbox. :?
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Hi, I thought I'd add to this thread as we have had a date for DD's interview and she is really quite nervous (this from a child who actally enjoyed the 11+!).

I was wondering if anyone could give examples of the kinds of questions they've been asked. I don't intend to 'coach' her, she just tends to get very tongue-tied in these situations.

We have also been told that she should wear her own clothes (not uniform). Does this mean her favourite outfit or what I'd like her to wear? :lol:

Thanks in advance.

Sycamore

And congrats Loopyloulou and Loopylouloulet. :D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hi All

Dd's currently sitting one of her indie exams as I speak, the interview for this particular school is on Wednesday.

I haven't coached her at all for the interview this Wednesday (but there's time yet :twisted: ) but have spoken to her about it, such as it's a little chat so they can get to know a bit about you. I have told her not to give one word answers though!!

For this particular exam and interview she needs to wear her current school uniform.

For the exam on Friday at another indie she is to wear smart, but casual clothes (she's already picked out what she's wearing!!). Her interview for that one is Wednesday of next week.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

How are you feeling snowdrops - are you nervous?
Freya

Post by Freya »

Snowdrops - I'm crossing my toes for your DD right now - Can't cross fingers as typing proved impossible!

For interviews I told my DS to give a good amount of eye contact, a nice smile and a confident firm handshake. I also told him: "be yourself because you are a great boy and there are no wrong answers in an interview". It's also handy to have a couple of questions for them ready to ask because they always say "Do you have any questions you'd like to ask" and it's not good to just stand there saying "errr no not really".

Good luck!

:lol:
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I would agree that there is no point coaching as it is important the children are themselves.

However the only thing I would warn your child about is the question

"What do you do in your spare time?"

Most children will not look upon their musical instruments, football, rugby, dancing, judo etc etc etc as things they do in their spare time and they may therefore say they watch telly like my son did last year! (and to be fair I did many years ago too)

:oops:
AB

Post by AB »

In addition, they seem to favour a few current affairs topics..

not a blow by blow account but a general awareness of what is happening around the world. I suppose the President of USA,credit crunch and the Gaza situation have been dominating the news.

There was also a spate of
'what would you do if you were Head Teacher for a Day?'
'Global Warming. what you know about it and what can you do about it?'

and little brain teasers to test for lateral thinking like the fish mentioned on another thread. although the one I seem to remember had to rearrange 3 match sticks to make fish face other way...

I think a confident and honest attitude will go a long way.
To ask questions of the school (at interview)is also expected as it shows you are thinking of how you can fit in there..

edit: if asked to come in your own clothes, I would go in something the child is comfortable with but obviously not outlandish styles. One boy, at interview came with in top and tails suit.I think he had been to some ceremony somewhere and didn't get time to change but he had to put up with curious looks from all the other children. :shock: