116/116 Mitigating factors

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mummog

mitigating factors

Post by mummog »

Hi everyone, hope it's ok for me to post my concerns here and hope I don'g go on too long. My daughter achieved 116 in both her papers - a shock to all. She has consistently been on top tables throughout primary, is working at Level 5, but suffers from nerves in a whole variety of situations. Her Year 5 report focuses almost exclusively on her nervousness and lack of confidence. Unfortunately, she had an orthodontic head brace fitted the day after her first paper - it was apparent on the way to her appointment that she thought the brace was going to be screwed to her skull - a terrifying thought for anyone and a worry which she had not shared with me previously. She then wore the brace for the week preceding the second paper (as directed by the orthodontist) and found sleeping extremely difficult. I feel guilty that I went ahead with the appointments but, under the National Health, we do not have much choice in when appointments are scheduled. How much weight might be given to this factor - any advice anyone?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi mummog

I have split your post from Batty's thread so we don't get muddled up. Please do continue to use this thread for you questions - it is now your "personal 11+ Q&A" section.

You ned to start by making it clear that you accepted the appointments only because you had little choice. Then you can say that she was afraid of the procedure prior to the first exam & appointment, and sleeping badly before the second test.

I would not mention that she is nervous in a whole range of situations - it may create doubt in the panel's minds, and I think they will simply understand that many children would be anxious about such a major piece of dental work.

Please focus on the academic evidence for 90% of your case though, and play the mitigating factors down, rather than up.

Sally-Anne
mummog

Post by mummog »

Thanks Sally-Anne, I will try not to play the 'nervous card' too much but with a report containing such comments as 'relies too heavily on her friiends', 'seeks reassurance from her friends', 'worries unnecessarily', I am hoping that the panel can see that, beyond the nervious wreck, lies a bright and conpetent girl! I am hoping also that the equal marks is a good thing rather than bad
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi mummog

If her report card contains comments such as those, you will need to "weave" them in to the appeal with the mitigating circumstances.

As that is the case, you should link the worry about the brace fitting to the report comments.

When you see the Head, as I assume you plan to do, you should be looking for comments about "a bright girl who lacks self-confidence" on the Head's summary sheet, and in other letters.

Equal marks are unfortunately not a good thing. A panel will often take the view that two identical marks represent the limit of a child's ability. For that reason you must focus even more on academic evidence.

Sally-Anne
mummog

Post by mummog »

Thanks for the advice Sally-Anne. I am seeing the Head on Wednesday so will post again then. Perhaps I need to make the decision that she will do better at a secondary school- less pesssure! I have two DS's at GS and know just what is involved!
mummog

Post by mummog »

Hi all, I have another concern to share. It seems to me that many children have passed this year - my DDs school managed only 7 passes last year, this year it seems to be well over 20. Does this seem to be the case in other schools? If so, I worry that there will be fewer appeals granted. Are my fears well-grounded?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sally-Anne is out at the moment, so I'll step in for her.
I worry that there will be fewer appeals granted. Are my fears well-grounded?
Absolutely not. This is an appeal against non-qualification, and the panel won't take the slightest notice of the number of places available.

They won't even know! (There'll be around half-a-dozen different panels every day. Information about what other panels are doing, or what happened on previous days, is not shared.)
Etienne
mummog

Post by mummog »

Thanks Etienne for the reassurance. Onwards and upwards now with nothing to lose!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now