How to choose?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

EllenH

How to choose?

Post by EllenH »

I'm new here and would really appreciate some help.

DD has been accepted by Pates - but she hates it. We went round to visit in September, and she didn't like anything about it.

She would like to go to the CHelt. Ladies college, and we would just about be able to send her, but it would mean a lot of other things would go by the board.

What factors should we consider in making up our minds?

I like the idea of a grammar school - because I feel that the children are much more grounded and have worked hard to get there. I like the Ladies college as I think a single sex education is better for girls - but I worry that she might become spoilt and lose sight of the real world.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Ellen
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My thoughts on all the schools which my children have attended are that they MUST be happy to be there. Could you imagine having to go somewhere day after day where you were unhappy?

As for private schools making the children spoilt and losing sight of the world, with a good home background and the right backing there is NO reason for this to happen.

My dd has passed her 11+ but as we are OoC we are not 100% sure of a place until allocation day in March. Our fall back position is private schooling - a choice of 2 very good schools. I like one more than the other (no particular reason why though) but DD likes the other. I'm more than happy with both schools and I leave it to my DD (should that option need to be taken) to choose which one she'd rather go to.

Hope this helps?
Milla

Post by Milla »

is it a stupid question to ask if you registered her for Denmark Road, too? that would kill both birds with the one stone.
mcs

Re: How to choose?

Post by mcs »

EllenH wrote:I'm new here and would really appreciate some help.

DD has been accepted by Pates - but she hates it. We went round to visit in September, and she didn't like anything about it.

She would like to go to the CHelt. Ladies college, and we would just about be able to send her, but it would mean a lot of other things would go by the board.

What factors should we consider in making up our minds?

I like the idea of a grammar school - because I feel that the children are much more grounded and have worked hard to get there. I like the Ladies college as I think a single gender education is better for girls - but I worry that she might become spoilt and lose sight of the real world.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Ellen
I don't envy you Ellen,

Whilst I sympathise, I'm afraid this is one dilemma I think only you can answer. Our children have been in independent education throughout their primary years and we had hoped to send them both Abingdon boys school in Oxfordshire. Our current financial situation means this is sadly, no longer an option. We are now going down the grammar route, as this is the next best thing for them.

Our boys have got off to a great start and I feel sure that they will continue to flourish in a grammar. Our eldest boy has just sat the Gloucestershire test and qualified for Tommys. He would love to go with his mates to Abingdon but he knows we can't do that for him and is very accepting of this. He missed out on Pates by only a few points and is very upset. However, kids adapt quickly and I'm sure he will settle at Tommys and do well.

I'm sure your DD hates Pate's because she wants to go to a more prestigious school. I haven't heard a single bad thing about Pate's and would be very surprised if she didn't settle in quite quickly (but only you know your daughter well enough to know if this would be so). Pate's also tend to out-perform the local independent schools in their exam results.

My opinion?
She should be over the moon to be accepted by Pate's. It's harder to get in there than any of the independents. The money you would save on school fees would make life outside of school pretty rosy too!

Maybe you could sit down with her and try to find out exactly what it is about Pate's that she doesn't like. And if you do decide to send her to Cheltenham Ladies, I'm sure you will manage to keep her grounded.

Good luck.

P.S.
If she doesn't take up her place at Pate's, can my boy have it? :lol:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Milla wrote:is it a stupid question to ask if you registered her for Denmark Road, too? that would kill both birds with the one stone.
Or Stroud High. If you've not registered, you can always appeal after March (and have a good chance of winning, as they have a high ability).

Look at the Ofsted reports and the like, look round the schools maybe. You could end up saving yourself a lot of money - and think how many extra educational experiences you could buy for your child.
Capers
wilmotclan

Post by wilmotclan »

You have to do what is right for your child, however as a parent of achild in Year 8 at Pate's I thoroughly recommend it, it's a fantastic school which produces really well rounded children. Why not look round while the schoolis in action, that's what swung it for my DD. she didn't expect to get in so hadn't really considered it. She now loves it.
FabFi

Post by FabFi »

Did your daughter sit for Stroud, or Denmark Road, or Ribston? Is there a chance that she might get a scholarship to CLC?

My daughter hated Pate’s too, but loved Stroud and is thrilled that she’s got a place there. I think Pate’s does itself a dis-service by not letting the parents and children see it during a normal school day and it has little to appeal to girls. The needlework and cookery rooms, and the dining hall were real wow factors at Stroud, plus the fact that it seemed fun and the teachers talked to the girls looking round. I’m sure Pate’s has its good points, but it just doesn’t do a good job at the open evening. Maybe you should have another look around now that she’s got a place, and she might feel differently. You have to keep in mind, though, that she’s the one who’ll be going there.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

HI all, as a Pate's parent I have to say that it is a fabulous school, and has lots to offer girls. My DD is not interested in cookery or needlework,(Basic skills can be passed on by her mother if need be!) so the lack of facilities in that area has not been noticed! :wink:
She does, however love the climbing wall and the all weather pitch, the art dept is second to none, the atmosphere and friendliness of the school is one of its strengths, as is the CCF (combined Cadet Force) which in itself is a rarity in a state school.

The decision is yours as a parent, I'm sure the school will manage to fill your DD's space if you choose to go elsewhere! :wink:
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Ultimately, you have to do what is best for your child (and within your means - pirvate education is not an option for many of us). That means making sure they are challenged for their level of ability (I think that 'most' schools would do this), and making sure that you are sending them to an environment that suits their personal and social needs. We all just want happy children don't we.

My DS was also not majorly impressed with Pates (liked it, didn't love it!). As parents, we appreciated the facilities, the polite children and calm environment. But, DS warmed much more to another grammar and has his heart set on this one. He will take another look at Pates (take advantage of it's two open mornings - a much better chance to get a real look at the school). But at the end of the day, we want to send our child to where he will feel comfortable, happy and therefore achieve his full potential. I don't think that necessarily means sending him to the school that comes highest on the result tables.

Good luck with your decision. We're here for support when you need us.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

FabFi wrote:he needlework and cookery rooms, and the dining hall were real wow factors at Stroud, plus the fact that it seemed fun and the teachers talked to the girls looking round.
Didn't look at Pates (although my partner attended some time ago). Stroud High had a real fun buzz about it. And there is also the small matter of boys being around the campus, next door, in the music block. I know Pates is mixed, but at least Stroud High isn't totally devoid of males around the place.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now