KE Test - how did ur children find it

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tajinder

KE Test - how did ur children find it

Post by tajinder »

Just wondering how everyone found todays test. Ive been tutoring a child for this test and ive found the forum very helpful especially KE Mum and KenR i can see that you are very dedicated and just wanted to let u know how much I have aprreciated ur advice on this forum.. he told me he found some bits hard and some easy overall he thinks he did well...just wanted to know how ur children found the test. Apparently the comprehension fo the proof reading test was not at the end of paper two but at the end of paper 1 and the bugs were there again...once again no real verbal reasoning just testing on vocabulary. I would be nice to know what other children thought

thanks

tajinder
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi there,

My son found the test quite difficult, especially the maths, which contained a few tricky questions. He ran out of time and wasn't able to complete the VR and NVR, leaving about 15-20 questions.

Just an anxious wait now for the results, now that the post-mortom is complete.

Andy
Andy

Post by Andy »

Forgot to include, there were no Distance/Time/Speed questions or area and perimiter of shapes/circles and no parallel lines either.

We revised on this part extensively, but it seems it was just a waste of time. Maths required thinking skills and part of the paper included time and data problems.

Andy
tajinder

Post by tajinder »

hiya andy what do u mean by time questions?? apparently there was an area question of a square which was enclosed by 4 parallelograms

we studied alot of areas includin area problems eg area of picture borders, also basic algebra, etc...according to the child that took the test alot of things nver turned up...but maybe the children see things in a different way to us and it did actually appear but they didnt actually no they were applying the same techniques....apparently no percentages either which i find quite a shock... i beleive the non-verbal was spotting the differnece between different bugs

hu knows wot went on in there but all we can do now is hope
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

My daughter found the exam OK - time pressured but not really difficult (time will tell!).

She said the proof reading section was about a forest in Sweden - she was a bit vague about the content of the passage but said the comprehension questions about it were OK - some she could recall the information, some not.

She said she only knew a few of the synonyms so had to guess most of them (out of three). The only one she can now remember was autonomy.

The maths wasn't mainly multiple choice but a lot to do in the time - she didn't finish - still had a page left to do.

She liked the made up words and the bugs (she said there were about 70 of these bug questions which she felt were NVR type questions) & found these quite easy.

That was all I managed to get out of her - I think she's just glad it's all over & wants to forget about it until March.
Dibble

Re: KE Test - how did ur children find it

Post by Dibble »

tajinder wrote:Just wondering how everyone found todays test.
Well *I* was very nervous :? but my lad seemed to take it in his stride!

Reading elswhere in these forums about some children being 'bound to cry and not letting your kids get involved' made me even more nervous and question if I was doing the right thing.

In the end it was really lovely to see most of the boys smiling and mucking around - with happy tales of questions they'd missed out, pages turned over two-at-a-time and how difficult it was, or wasn't.

Whatever the outcome I'm glad he's had the chance to compete.
marg

Post by marg »

First of all I would like to thank Ken R and KE mum for all their help on answering my questions and all the useful information they have provided on the forum.
Regarding the test my son was in the hall at Camp Hill. Five children apparently started crying and some children opened their paper before time.
My son said 10 mins comprehension and proof reading. He noted that the passage wasn't very long but very descriptive.
Next 16 synonyms beginning with RE followed by 81 antonyms beginning with ST and C.
90 NVR questions in 25 mins.He found them easier than Bond/ NFER. They seemed to be the same as the previous year.
Maths was more son felt general Maths & Problem Solving as apposed to Arithmetic which we had practised.Ithink he said 35 questions in 25 mins apparently there were some equations not the simple type.
He found some hard but managed to finish.
Then came the comprehension questions which requied you to have remembered very descriptive detail & finally the vocab and meaning.
My son said the vocab was very hard thankfully he read about 8 books from April onwards.We practised lots of vocab but my son still felt the vocab was hard .
The test is slightly different every year so this year you had more antonyms, a very descriptive passage and more of the General Maths rather than Arithmetic.
marg

marg

Post by marg »

I'm getting a little worried my son mentioned antonyms can anyone confirm .
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Hi everyone

I am sure you are all glad it is over! Marg - I wouldn't worry too much about what your son has said to you today - I agonised over the questions that my daughter got wrong! She didn't tell me very much that was positive but preferred to concentrate on the negative, much to my consternation.

I know that you won't stop worrying until March or beyond, but there is nothing more that you can do now. The constant analysis is quite stressful - my daughter would come out with things all of a sudden when driving or something and say "Oh what does xxxxx mean?" - I would tell her and she would say, oh I got that one wrong too!

Look on the bright side, you will never have to do Verbal and Non Verbal Reasoning again! (Unless, like me you have two kids!).

Post by Guest »

Hi all!

A little worried too as my son mentioned synonyms only in VR, but Marg has written about antonyms being the main focus of VR.

Can anyone else please confirm which as children tend to forget.

Thankyou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now