How is 11 plus marked ?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jolly-angel

How is 11 plus marked ?

Post by jolly-angel »

Hello :)

I'm new here so sorry if I ask questions that have already been addressed but I have had a good look around and haven't found the answers.

Hope you can help

We want to know how the 11 plus is scored ? there are 80 questions with 1 point per question. How do they get to the final figure ?

Our son scored 120 and 119. He is Sept born and we are not in catchment. How many questions did he get right (or is that a silly question?). Do younger children get extra points for their age ? extra in catchment ?

We have heard that the pass mark this year had been put up to 91% ? due to more children taking the test.

We were surprised at his score as he is predicted to be level 5 and working on level 6 for English, Maths and Science.

Any help and advice will really help us to decide if we take it further ie a re mark ? is that possible ? my son said he did rub out some answers so we wonder if he made a mess of the paper.

Anyway hi to all

jolly-angel
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The papers are marked individually and the raw mark /80 is standardised some how - Pupils are compared with others of similar age and the score emerges!

No account is taken of where you live or gender.

The papers are marked by OMR - optical mark readers - you can ask for a manual re-check but errors are almost unknown.

No-one can possibly know what the number of questions needed to be answered correctly is - there were not that many extra pupils sitting the test this year and nowhere near the 'bulge' year four years ago.

You are close to 121 so read the 'stickies' and start getting the paperwork together - lots of advice here from 'veterans' :D
ElevenplusParent

Post by ElevenplusParent »

Hi Jolly-angel,

I think you should appeal. Per Bucks, there were 40% successful appeals in the past.

goodluck,
Epp.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hi jolly-angel

Welcome to the forum. Don't apologise for asking questions that what we are all here for.

Firstly I am sorry ot hear your son just missed the pass mark, I hope he is not feeling to bad. On a positive note it sounds like you may have grounds for appeal. I am no expert but I do believe you haveto decide quite quickly so I would suggest you go and see the head teacher straight away to find out if he/she will back an appeal.

Look at the appeals section on here as you will get lots of very good advice.

Goo luck

Melx
jolly-angel

Post by jolly-angel »

Dear all

Thank you so much for replying to me, my boy was very upset when he heard the result and we had a pretty bad weekend but we convinced him he did his best.

They are so young to have this stress but they soon bounce back.
Whichever school he goes to he will do his best as he is a little star

Jolly x