Mitigating Circumstances?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pre2407

Mitigating Circumstances?

Post by Pre2407 »

Hi,

My son achieved scores of 120 and 116 in his 11+. The headteacher is strongly supporting our appeal. He has been predicted level 5's in all subjects in his SATS and has already achieved level 5's in two of them. Before the 11+ he was also strongly recommended for a GS.

We don't know why he has underachieved apart from the fact that he was very nervous as he understood the consequences of the exam. We also come for a culturally different background and two languages are spoken at home..would this support an appeal?

Thank you!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome, Pre2407!

The problem is - how would you explain that culture and language affected the 11+ but not school work?

I wouldn't worry too much, because with a score of 120 the panel probably won't be looking for much in the way of extenuating circumstances.
Etienne
Pre2407

Post by Pre2407 »

Thank you for your reply! That was exactly what we were wondering as he performs above average in English. However, when reading through the appeals booklet, examples of extenuating circumstances included 1.different culture and 2.second language at home. In which cases would these be used?

Also, if we say that he was nervous, could that be used against him in any way?

Thank you!!
Pre2407

Post by Pre2407 »

Oh and just another quick question, will the panel look at the lower of the scores too? or just the 120?

Before taking the 11+, my son had received a 1 and a 1 by the headteacher, how important is this?

Thanks again!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The appeals booklet correctly mentions culture and language as possible factors, but this isn't going to work in your case because your son's good school work strongly suggests that he hasn't been disadvantaged. Would I be right in thinking that your son was born and brought up in this country? If so, you'll find it hard work convincing a panel that he's been disadvantaged!

The trouble with nerves is that everyone tends to use this argument if they can't think of anything else! Was 120 the second test? It might sound a little more credible if you could say "He was very nervous at the start, but more settled by the second test."

As I said before, you shouldn't worry too much about extenuating circumstances with a score of 120.

Yes, the panel will look at the other score, but all being well the 1:1 recommendation should help convince the panel that 120 is more representative of your son's ability than 116. The panel will look to see whether the head has been reasonably accurate with his/her other 1:1 recommendations.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now