11+ in Plymouth

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Up the Line

11+ in Plymouth

Post by Up the Line »

The part of the board is very quiet compared with the level of activity in Berks, Kent or Essex. Maybe people in the area are not aware of its existence. In Berks and Kent, I don't know about Essex, the areas are totally selective i.e. children have to opt out of the 11+ procedure whereas in Plymouth you have to opt in. Therefore, maybe for the majority of children and parents in Plymouth, the 11+ is not a major concern. The fact that there are a number of very good comprehensive/community schools in Plymouth may also reduce the interest in the 11+. Certainly the Labour controlled council would rather the three grammar schools in Plymouth did not exist

Having lived in various parts of England, Bristol, the North West, North East and now Plymouth, what is very noticeable, is the wide variation of types of secondary schools. There are no state grammar schools at all in the North East, Bristol and most of the North West. The nature of the seletive procedure in Berks and Kent, it could be argued is somewhat anachronistic and divisive. Not one of the three main political parties supports selective education yet the Kent and Berks 1950's system still exists!
Up the Line

Post by Up the Line »

Typo error! I meant to say Bucks instead of Berks in my previous note I don't know if there is a wholly selective system in Berks, but do know that Bucks and Kent are fully selective.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Up the line

Perhaps you should start a debate by copying and pasting your last paragraph and putting it in General Topics....

Patricia
Up the Line

Post by Up the Line »

Patricia, I'll give it a go.

Up the Line.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now