For zorro

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
AB

For zorro

Post by AB »

zorro wrote:Wow AB! Your 3 (!) posts have all been really helpful and full of constuctive advice for Pretty Woman - she must be truly grateful!
They were not for PrettyWoman, sweet as she sounds. They were for Tipsy but you can have some too. :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

So AB - what Independent school should I send my DS to? :)
AB

Post by AB »

My advice to you, Tipsy, last night was not to mix almond liqueur and gross pizza while alone, nothing to do with independent schools. That way, you won't go off topic and make a mess in the morning.

Now, zorro is going to get upset that we are off topic on her thread. You know, People, we have to think a bit before we post...that's why it took me so long to reply to your last post last night. These quick-fire replies sometimes cause a lot of hassle!
zorro

Post by zorro »

AB,
Just out of interest - are your DC at independent school or likely to be in the future?
Taking about off topic - surely a thread called "For Zorro" should be in "Anything Else?"
What do you think Mods?
AB

Post by AB »

Why would you want to move to an obscure corner of the forum when you are obviously an independent poster, zorro? It doesn't mean you can't go the other regions that you have an interest in, maybe relatives living in other 11+ regions for example?

This need to draw lines and demarcations, not referring to Off topics, is very divisive and territorial - just an observation.

DC at independent, then grammar, now considering independent.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Do you mean you are going to move DC from grammar back to independent or is this a different child you are now considering indie for?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I don't think anyone wants or needs to be territorial but it is getting beyond a joke when some think they can continually criticise or make judgements relating to the decisions some make regarding independent schooling. I'm happy for everyone to join in but if we're expected to be pleasant on EPE then these negative comments need to be moderated. No one is criticising comps or GS, so let's do the same on this section and just offer advise.

AND if I mention inde's anywhere else then you are all free to take a pot shot at me!;)
AB

Post by AB »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I don't think anyone wants or needs to be territorial but it is getting beyond a joke when some think they can continually criticise or make judgements relating to the decisions some make regarding independent schooling. I'm happy for everyone to join in but if we're expected to be pleasant on EPE then these negative comments need to be moderated. No one is criticising comps or GS, so let's do the same on this section and just offer advise.

AND if I mention inde's anywhere else then you are all free to take a pot shot at me!;)
Where are all these continual critical, judgmental and negative comments, Tipsy? :? :?

If a comment is made, even if it puts a subject matter in poor light, there is no need to get the hackles up. We should be open to ideas, thoughts and experiences that other posters bring from whichever corner of the country (or world) and not feel defensive about our own choices.

I have read many complaints of poor comprehensives on the site, lamenting the standards of pupils and staff morale etc and yet no one stands up to defend the really bad ones because they are not on here, reading.

Why do you expect people :roll: to take pot shots at you? :?
Perhaps you seek to be controversial :lol: :lol:
I have also read many pleasing posts in the independent threads with very well presented views and thoughts and have never felt the need to throw a rotten egg at the author.

AB wrote:DC at independent, then grammar, now considering independent.
small error here, DC at independent, then state comp, then grammar, now considering independent for new child.

So where does that put me? In the grammar camp, the state camp or the independent Camp?

Which goes to show that whatever we choose or will choose in the end, there may well be some part of 3 systems that we experience, so what's the deal with plonking yourself in the red, blue or white corner and arguing to the death about 'some people'?

I say, let's just get on with proper discussion so something fruitful will come out of this forum.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

AB,

In the nicest possible way, have you just joined? There have been plenty negative comments althought recently it's not been as bad until it started all over again. If you know certain posters you know exactly what they mean but it may seem harmless to others. Threads have been locked or deleted and some of us haven't had the nicest pm's from a tiny minority. I didn't start out defensive. Anyway, I'm in a good mood - phew - so am not going to be negative anymore! :D
AB

Post by AB »

No, I have not just joined but have recently registered. I have watched from the wings for a long time whilst debating which tree to swing from. Threads locked from months ago are still available and make quite revealing reading.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now