People's Reactions When You Tell Them

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

People's Reactions When You Tell Them

Post by Snowdrops »

Following on from a thread on the Gloucs board, entitled 'Reactions to the test results from other people', which I found jolly interesting reading (even added to it myself).

I wondered what people's reactions were towards you and yours when you told them you DC (DD and/or DS) were going to attend an independent school, were already attending an independent school or indeed that you were thinking of your DC's attending an independent school?

By the by, for those who don't know, my dd has passed the 11+ and we are awaiting allocation in March. Should that fail we WILL be going down the independent route.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well, I'm going to BORE you all to tears later :oops: with this excellent thread - thanks Snowdrop! :D Have to dash now, forgot about picking up my little choir boy! :o
zorro

Post by zorro »

Snowdrops,
I find the reaction when I tell people which school DS goes to is usually "Where?" as it's not one of the local state secondary schools.I then have to say "It's an independent school near Elstree" ( I can't bear to say "private school!") .People usually say "OH!" and look either shocked or affronted!
starlight

Post by starlight »

We chose independent over grammar school place and most people were surprised. It's a personal decision and each child is different, mind you, we have had moments where we have doubted our decision in the current financial crisis.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

reckon it is just best to decide what you are going to say about it and say it, then watch for the reaction........... that can be the best bit.
Any further questions can be dealth with the answers;
I like the colour of the uniform,
I found a stash of diamonds in the back garden,
at least they don;t have to go to school with ****,
or ... well there are plenty of ways to make a bit of extra money :oops: :shock: :oops:

People watching ... great fun - I have a significant birthday soon and when it is mentioned I have added 10 years to the figure - VERY interesting reactions - either they think I'm joking or have been on the BOTOX!!!!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Snowdrops,

I find you get a very similar reaction if you send to either Independent or Grammar. :evil: You need thick skin! :shock:
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

My son is in yr5, when I have told some of the other parents at my DS's school that he will be taking the 10+ and/or GS route they look at me as if I am from another planet!! He attends a Catholic school - which was in the top 5 for Croydon when he started. It has now dropped due to a number of factors.

It would be easier to get into heaven via a camel through the eye of a needle, then into the only decent Catholic boys school in the area. That is why hubby and I have decided to go down the GS/Ind route. My son is quite bright and I think he will be stretched if he attends one of these schools. For DS2, I will be putting in my application to the Vatican next September to help him get a place at the Catholic School as he as not as academic as his brother.

If people wish to do the best for their children; they should not be sneered at. It will be a struggle to pay for DS1 private education but weknow it will be worth it.

Good topic by the way - also enjoyed the thread on the Glos board.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I teach in a school in a county that has no selective schools, so my colleagues are unused to that sort of system (I refer to grammar schools).

They were mostly horrified last year when I told them that my son would be sitting entrance exams and the 11+.

One of my colleagues, whom I consider to be a friend, would look the other way or walk out of the room when it was discussed. In fact it was only 'discussed' when a particular teaching assistant brought the subject up. She was the only person interested out of a staff that nears 30.
Whenever I have a bit of a moan about the amount of prep Edward has or the length of his school day I can see some rolling their eyes!
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Ed's mum wrote:I teach in a school in a county that has no selective schools, so my colleagues are unused to that sort of system (I refer to grammar schools).

They were mostly horrified last year when I told them that my son would be sitting entrance exams and the 11+.

One of my colleagues, whom I consider to be a friend, would look the other way or walk out of the room when it was discussed. In fact it was only 'discussed' when a particular teaching assistant brought the subject up. She was the only person interested out of a staff that nears 30.
Whenever I have a bit of a moan about the amount of prep Edward has or the length of his school day I can see some rolling their eyes!
It's strange what jealousy does to some people, however much they dress it up as principle even to themselves.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Can I also add that this reaction as described by Ed's mum is a common one at state primaries when 11+ is usually mentioned!
What I don't and will never understand is why people have such an opinion on OTHER PEOPLE'S children....peculiar! :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now