Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

katchy

Scores

Post by katchy »

I haven't posted before but have been lurking with interest throughout this stressful process.
Usually any questions I have to ask have been covered somewhere, which has been really helpful.
However, one thing baffles me: if the school heads and the Access to Education team don't disclose results, how do so many of you know those of your DCs?
I have called the schools and County Hall and been told that for reasons of pastoral care, policy is to keep scores and rankings to themselves.
I would appreciate some light being shed on this subject.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

If you only applied to the two council controlled schools, Denmark road, Girls High School and Sir Thomas Richs then they don't give scores. Pates and Crypt are foundation schools and they have given scores or rankings if you are in Pates top 160 which means score of 240+ anyway, these are the ones people are using to try and work how safe they are for a place at either of these schools.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Hi Katchy,and welcome!

It does depend pn the school as to how much information parents have about the scores.Gloucestershire as a LA let all parents know if their child has reached the qualifying score.
Crypt school- give the actual score
Pates-give whether the score is in the top 120 or the actual score if not passed or in the next 40 children.
Tommies/Denmark Road-do not give the actual score,although last year I wrote for my DS score and it was given to me
Ribston-I think they only give whether the qualifying score has been reached.
Marling and Stroud High-not sure,somebody will be along with 100% accurate info-I know Marling give something about quintiles and Stroud if score is in the top 120

What school are you particularly interested in???

GM
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

mmmh you did a far clearer and politer job on that one than my feeble attempt :oops: .

Thanks Gloucestermum.
katchy

Scores

Post by katchy »

Thanks for the prompt replies.

DD is ranked within the top 120 for SHS (who say they don't give scores); ranked 134 for Pates (haven't specifically asked re. scores); 'scored high enough to qualify for admission' to Denmark Road (LA refuse to give score); and the same for Ribston.

It seems several families (no names) have received this information, judging from previous posts, and I wonder how they obtained it.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Hi there

Nobody has got a score for the LEA schools...ie Tommies and Denmark Rd, or for Ribston - I think they have probably been comparing the scores they were given for Pates and Crypt to see where they may sit in the rankings for the schools.

I believe Gloucestermum got her score for Tommies after allocation day last year..but she will correct me if I am wrong!

Judging by your ranking for Pates, I would say your DD would be quite high up in the passes for Denmark and Ribston - so I think she can have her pick of whichever grammar in Glos! My friend's DD got into Pates straight off and was ranked at 139th last year.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I would agree with Burneth-your DD scores seem to suggest that a place at a grammar school is almost a guarantee! If you are that high up for Pates then Denmark and/or Ribston would be pretty much a cert.
This system of giving parents the scores is a bonus-but it is not enough information to make the wait until March seem bearable-I do sympathise with you-but at least you do know that your DD scored extremely well,just imagine what it would be like if you were borderline or a low pass(trust me,me and Burneth have been there and got the tshirt!!!).
wilmotclan

Post by wilmotclan »

Hi got scores for Denmark Road after I found out if DD passed the test. I rang Shire Hall and they sent out the scores. However, I am not sure if this is possible this year. Got scores in Dec last year.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

gloucestermum wrote: Marling and Stroud High-not sure,somebody will be along with 100% accurate info-I know Marling give something about quintiles and Stroud if score is in the top 120
Marling split the scores into 1/5ths above the pass mark and 1/5ths below the pass mark. The 5 quintiles above the pass mark will be of a different size to those below the pass mark. If you're in the first 3, you have a place, 4th = quite possible, 5th = a slim chance.

Stroud High give no score to the top 120, then a score and individual rank from 121 to pass mark. I think maybe also a score below the pass mark. The rank gives you an estimate of getting in - 121 to 150 Probably, <150 slim chance.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now