SATS KS2 v KS3

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SJ

SATS KS2 v KS3

Post by SJ »

Can anyone enlighten me on the difference in the levels between KS2 an KS3? My son is predicted to get level 5's in his sats and has recently had a look at level 6 papers. When visting the various secondary schools we were advised that level 6 was average at the end of KS3, but that they were expected to get levels 7 or 8's.

My understanding is that KS1 runs from levels 1-3, KS2 runs from 2-5 and KS3 is . . . . . .?

Is a level 5 at KS2 equivalent to level 5 at KS3?

Post by Guest »

This is an interesting question and one that I would also like to know the answer to! Can anyone help?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

From the BBC website : In Depth Guide to Key Stage 3 SATs (2/5)

>>the level you achieve will fall somewhere between 3 and 7 in English and Science, and between 3 and 8 in Maths. Sometimes a level N (below Level 3) may be awarded. Your Teacher Assessed level may be above Level 7 (Level 8 or Exceptional Performance). The average attainment for students at the end of Year 9 is Level 5/6.>>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/communitie ... ong2.shtml

Hope this helps

Catherine
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

Expected levels for the average child in year 9 is 5/6. Generally, grammar schools EXPECT 7s in English and Science and 7/8 in Maths.

Should you live in Bucks and wish your child to transfer from an upper school to a grammar, it is expected that your child is at least predicted all 7s, BEFORE your child can even sit the late transfer test [ 12+/13+]

It is easier to gain level 5 in KS2 than it is at KS3

Patricia
Sakura

Post by Sakura »

Theoretically, Level 5 in KS2 should be the same value in KS3. Your child gets more than 80% correct in KS2 to achieve Level 5. If he/she takes the KS3 papers now, your child may only achieve 30% right but that is still worth Level 5. My elder son also got Level 5’s in Year 5 so I expected his levels would shoot up once he gets to secondary school, however they didn’t. He was still in Level 5’s at the end of in Year 7.

What I’ve heard from a teacher was it’s likely to be in dip in grades in early stage. Because the assessment papers are made for end of Year 9, for younger students they simply haven’t been taught most of the topics yet.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Originally there was supposed to be an equivalence between the levels achieved in different key stages ie. a level3 at KS1 would be the same as a level3 at KS2, but it has long been recognised that such an equivalence no longer exists, mainly because the child at the lower key stage will not have covered enough of the higher key stage curriculum to achieve the same grade. Hence the apparent lack of progress or even dip in measured attainment levels in year 3. The same is true of the transition from KS2 to KS3. The variabiliy is a function of the testing rather than a true reflection of the child's ability and progress or lack of it.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Thanks everyone for your responses and the information contained therein. Much appreciated