Tiffin boys answer sheet for VR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
naz

Tiffin boys answer sheet for VR

Post by naz »

Hi

Does anyone know what the format of the tiffin boys' answer sheet for VR is ?

I believe that in some NFER areas you can use the answer sheet to help you answer the questions and save time by not having to go back and forth between the question and answer sheet.

e.g for type e question the booklet would give a sentence eg

"You are allowed to make notes on the paper. "

The child can find the answer by looking at the answer sheet as it very kindly groups the words into pairs. It will save time as going backwards and forwards from question booklet to answer sheet takes up precious time. The child will know a different type of question is coming up because an example of the next type is shown.

answer sheet - put a line through the correct answer below;

a You are
b are allowed [REAL]
c to make
d notes on
e the paper

The reason I ask is because my son recently sat the sutton test and althought they are also NFER the answer sheet was

"mark the following;"

q1 a b c d e
q2 a b c d e

The question was
"You are allowed to make notes on the paper"

choose one of the below and mark the answer sheet accordingly

a bent

b real (right answer)

c deal

Does this make sense or am I going completely mad ?! Tiffin have sent out the details of the test, but not the answer sheet, which sutton this year were kind enough to do.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thxs
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi Naz

The Tiffin format is that of your former example - the Walsh papers are also in the same format - and I believe they have been written by tutors who speicalise in that region.

I was under the impression that Sutton Grammar wrote their own VR paper, and not NFER.

Gilly, are you here to input?
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Hi Naz,

As Sara mentioned, the Tiffin answer sheet follows the same style as that of NFER, which has the 'vertical' pattern. I double checked this with my elder son who took the Tiffin test 3 years ago.

Younger son sat for the Sutton Grammar last Saturday and he did mention of the 'horizontal' layout of the answer sheet.

Tiffin don't advertise too much about their test details nor do they send any sample questions/answers.

Gilly
naz

Post by naz »

Thank you very much for the info JaysDarlin and Gilly.It's funny how lots of things really aren't common knowledge and you cannot get the info from the school either even if you ask !

I thought sutton was "NFER like" whatever that means........but I guess it doesn't matter now.

Anyway my son is not used to working from the answer sheet. It was just something I noticed mentioned on this board and was thinking of adopting if necessary.

In your experience do you think working from the answer sheet really helps speed you up ?

Thanks for the walsh recommendation. Do you mean Bumblebee (Walsh), as shown under 11+ books on this website?

Good luck with the Tiffin test. I don't really think my son will get in, there is just so much competition and my son isn't being tutored, just little old me teaching. But you can only hope !

Naz
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Naz,
Anyway my son is not used to working from the answer sheet.
If you are referring to type E question in NFER style answer sheets, then looking at the answer sheet to find the 4 letter word should work ok. They will not 'give' the possible words in the answer sheet. The child is required to 'find' the hidden word.
I don't really think my son will get in, there is just so much competition and my son isn't being tutored, just little old me teaching.
Please note that I tutor my son. I have never sent him to any external tutors or 11+ experts for coaching. It's all done by me. I think it is the case with Sara (JaysDarlin) and many other parents in this forum.

Gilly
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

naz wrote:Good luck with the Tiffin test. I don't really think my son will get in, there is just so much competition and my son isn't being tutored, just little old me teaching. But you can only hope !
Naz
Tut Tut Naz,

Haven't you read The Secret?

Your ds will never pass if your so pessimistic! He will be picking up on your "you'll never pass, dear boy" vibes, and not pass! There are a lot of parents who are tutoring their kids for Tiffin - and getting in, too. Have faith in yourself, and your ds, and you will have won half the battle. :)
naz

Post by naz »

Thanks girls...I will try and be more positive.

I have promised my son a puppy if he gets into any of the shcools he sits for.....!

Naz
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Thanks girls...
:lol: :lol: :lol: