Suggestions for Christmas

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sycamore

Suggestions for Christmas

Post by sycamore »

Have finally been handed a wish list for Christmas by DD.

Books.
PC Games (long list).
DS Games (longer list).

Please, does anyone have any suggestions for good books for an 11 year old girl, all the suggestions I've seen previously have been for boys. She is very bright but I obviously want to keep things age appropriate in terms of content!

Also, any ideas for presents? Preferably nothing too pricey as we are not a materialistic bunch and try to keep the spirit of the season real.

Have approx 20 friends/family asking for ideas and at the mo she is likely to get 20 pairs of pyjamas!

Many thanks
Sycamore :D
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Well, my nearly ten year old loves books like Little Women and the sequels like Good Wives, Jo's Boys and Little Men; Anne of Green Gables; Black Beauty; Carrie's War etc. It she was awake I would ask her!!
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

My son's have enjoyed these but I would say they are just as suitable for girls:

Journey to the river Sea and Star of Kazan - both by Eva Ibotson

Noughts and Crosses - Marjorie Blackman

Twilight series - Stephenie Meyer

Goodnight Mr Tom and Carries War - Michelle Magorian

Also I know my 13 year old niece enjoyed Angus, thong and full frontal snogging. It may be a bit old still at the moment thought - am not sure of the content.

Also the literacy trust website has some recommendations by age - might be worth a look.

(apologies if spelling of authors is not correct - am going from memory as don't want to try hunting their bookshelves in the dark!)
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Joan Aiken - The Wolves of Willoughby Chase.

This is a classic but it's quite dark!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Try books by Jenny Valentine and Malorie Blackman; they are very well written and relevant to today's pre-teen.

Whilst I'd love my daughter to settle down with a good classic, I'm afraid she can't think of anything more 'boring'. :roll: Oh well, perhaps in time...
jah

Post by jah »

At 11/12 I remember getting into detective novels: Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh. Favourite Christie "Murder at the Vicarage" classic Whodunnit - Colonel found dead in the vicar's study: Favourite Marsh "A Surfeit of Lampreys" story all revolves the timing of the lifts.
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

My dd has just finished Alice in Wonderland and loved it, she's 10. She is now reading the Secret Garden and also loves all Jacqueline Wilson books. Having read some of Jackie Daydream with her I think these books are great as they are intelligently written can be pretty deep at times but are also fun to read.

A favorite of mine were Enid Blyton books The magic Far away Tree , Enchanted Wood etc so she has also read those and like me love them.

Mel x
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

My DD loved the Mates Dates series by Cathy Hopkins and also Truth,Dare ,Kiss and Promise by her.She also loved Ally's World by Karen McCrombie .

Much as I love the Twilight books ( I'm reading them myself)! I do think they are a bit old for an 11 year old,I'd wait till nearer 13 for those,my DD was 14.

Angus,thongs by Louise Rennison are great too but maybe a bit old for an 11 year old.

Of course if she's not read them yet then you can't beat jacquiline Wilson,but not the Girls in Love series in Love Lessons

Hope that helps ,a lot of these can be on Red House books as sets and are a real bargain !!

Pensby
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Oooh yes! Definately Jacqueline Wilson. Very well written and some interesting subject matter :shock: . I have heard my daughter howling with laughter and sobbing with grief over her books. People can be a bit sniffy about Ms Wilson's writing which I think is a great shame.

Frank Cottrell Boyce - Cosmic and Millions (wouldn't bother with Framed though).

Anne Fine and Judy Blume are ace.

Cathy Cassidy is popular (I haven't looked at hers so can't vouch for the quality).

My son (10 and a bit of a girlie boy (if you know what I mean)) is reading Kaspar by Michael Morpurgo & can't put it down. He has found some others by Morpurgo a bit heavy going :oops:
solimum

Post by solimum »

I think from memory (not at home) my DD had boxed sets of Eva Ibbotson and Judy McCreary's "Molly Moon" books at around that age (from Red House or the Book People) - also enjoyed the Caroline Lawrence Roman Mysteries . The Little House on the Prairie books might also appeal.

She is now nearly 15 and has been reading "Twilight" avidly - I haven't been able to get hold of it to check suitability..... She has also really enjoyed "Inkheart"

Btw a group of us (mothers of a certain age) ended up seeing the film of "Angus, Thongs..." when Mamma Mia was sold out in the summer - we all enjoyed it hugely!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now