Primary pupils 'need sex lessons'

Post by Art »

Here is another ridiculous policy recommendation for our children:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6075860.stm

Would be interested in whether parents agree with the experts
Herts Parent

Schools hire Relate counsellors to help children overcome

Post by Herts Parent »

You think that is weird, take a look at this in the Daily Mail today, for children as young as 11:

"Schools hire Relate counsellors to help children overcome broken relationships"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

This is nonsense. Schools are going without essentials like text books etc so that 11 year olds can discuss their relatioinship issues with external councillors. Then the state sector wonders why we cannot compete with the Private Sector.
Rebel

Private vs State competition

Post by Rebel »

Herts Parent wrote:Then the state sector wonders why we cannot compete with the Private Sector.
I don't quite understand your comparison and the reference to competition. We have several state comprehensives in our area, but no private schools that are springing up and stealing those children away from them. Besides, I thought that it cost up to about £20,000 per year + trips etc. for those private schools.

Are they proposing vouchers to that sort of level that we could then spend at the school of our choice? (Otherwise confused)
Rebel

Since when did previous generations get it so right?

Post by Rebel »

So do you guys think that we live in a perfect system where it is possible to get away with not formally teaching children about relationships - and that they will 'just get it'? The trouble is that we've been there and done that and we are lumbered with major problems like teenage pregnancies and a massive divorce rate.

Yes, it makes perfect sense to me that kids should 'talk about s-e-x' (as Salt 'n' Pepa put it so many years ago now), and that trained adults can facilitate in that.

The fact that education is lacking resources is lamentable and shameful, but that isn't a justification for pulling the plug on certain leading-edge activities, and that just because they prickle our old-fashioned sensitivities.

Post by Guest »

Sorry not sure I agree. As a 40 year old who was never formally taught about anything more than the birds and the bees in its most basic form I have managed to stay both happily married and avoid becoming pregnant (and no it was not an accident) until I was 28. Yes ,I think maybe I 'got it'. I 'got it' from my home environment and parents with strict discipline which in my opinion was the best place to learn from. Does that make me an oddity. I doubt it. Most of my friends have the same story to tell and provide the same level of support for their children.
When my children are in school I expect them to read, write, add up competently etc. Something state schools seem to struggle with if my experience is anything to go by- but that could be a whole new thread!. Herts parent newspaper link mentions relationship counselling for 11 year olds. Thats what I don't get. What are we doing to children to make them think they need counselling - whats wrong with friends and/or family!!
Yes I agree the statistics speak for themselves regarding teenage ******** activity and pregnancy rates but should this be tackled in school or should this be addressed in the home environment.
Interestingly our local grammar are quite forceful in refusing to teach any more that the biology of s-e-x arguing that any more than this is up to the parents.
I think this is a very emotive issue with losts of sides to a complex argument so this thread could potentially just run and run!!
Not4Me

Post by Not4Me »

Is it any wonder that the UK has become a joke to the rest of the world. Maybe the schools should make all the teachers wear veils as well, go the full hog. Can't wait to move abroad !!
Another 40 year old...

Re: Since when did previous generations get it so right?

Post by Another 40 year old... »

Rebel wrote:The trouble is that we've been there and done that and we are lumbered with major problems like teenage pregnancies and a massive divorce rate.
We are lumbered with the aforementioned 'major problems' because we have been talking about it too much to the too young!

I didn't need to have sex education in primary school to tell me not to get pregnant too soon. My upbringing was about self-respect and respect for others. Something alot of people (not just children) seem to lack these days. :cry:

Basic sex education is fine, but leave the rest to the family to discuss as it suits their particular child's upbringing.
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Since when did previous generations get it so right?

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Rebel wrote:So do you guys think that we live in a perfect system where it is possible to get away with not formally teaching children about relationships - and that they will 'just get it'? The trouble is that we've been there and done that and we are lumbered with major problems like teenage pregnancies and a massive divorce rate.

Yes, it makes perfect sense to me that kids should 'talk about s-e-x' (as Salt 'n' Pepa put it so many years ago now), and that trained adults can facilitate in that.

The fact that education is lacking resources is lamentable and shameful, but that isn't a justification for pulling the plug on certain leading-edge activities, and that just because they prickle our old-fashioned sensitivities.
Forgive me if I'm remembering incorrectly but when I was at school (I'm now 47) we received minimal s3x education and nothing formal on 'relationships'. We certainly did not have lessons along the lines of New Labour's great cure-all, 'citizenship'.
Yet standards of behaviour and personal responsibility are plummeting and Britain leads Europe in underage/ unwanted pregnancy.
Is this progress or have I missed something?
Karen

Post by Karen »

Grumpy Old Man you haven't missed a thing! Children are not allowed to be children for long these days. Hence the teenage pregnancies, binge drinking, ASBOs with honours!
jah

Post by jah »

An interesting piece in the news this week was comparing the amount of time teenagers spent with their friends with that spent with their families. Our teenagers are being influenced too much by peer pressure, and in many sections of society parents are losing the plot.

When I collect my 10 year old from Cubs at 8:30pm, there are always teenagers hanging around outside the hall. My 14 year old is at home doing homework, music practice, or reading. Don't these other youngsters have anything better to do? Do their parents know where they are?