Kendrick

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Torrylee

Kendrick

Post by Torrylee »

We are preparing for the Kendrick exam which is now a little over three weeks away. Is there anyone else out there in the same position?!

Does anyone know whether the girls are allowed to write on the question paper, or do they get scrap paper for their working out?

We have been here once before, DS sat the Reading exam two years ago, and I am delighted to say that once DD's Kendrick exam is over we will not be going through this again .... We are fortunate to have a good and improving comprehensive as plan B, but DD does have her heart set on Kendrick at the moment.
stevew61

Re: Kendrick

Post by stevew61 »

Torrylee wrote:We are preparing for the Kendrick exam which is now a little over three weeks away. Is there anyone else out there in the same position?!

Does anyone know whether the girls are allowed to write on the question paper, or do they get scrap paper for their working out?
Hi Torrylee,

Reading/Kendrick is slow on the forum, lots of watchers so I am told. :lol:

I know of three girls trying for Kendrick, it is such a big "ask" bigger than Reading?

Searched the forum and could not find out about writing on the paper, will email/PM some good folk and let you know what I find out.

Good luck and best wishes for you and DD.

Just thinking about the exam gives me collywobbles, we are due Reading 2010 and Kendrick 2012. :shock:

steve
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

Hi Steve

Yes, absolutely, I think Kendrick is significantly more competitive than Reading. In my opinion DD would have got into Reading the year that DS took the test, she is scoring more highly than he did on practice papers, but of course that is the only comparison I can make and it is no use to me whatsoever!

Torrylee
Complete Novice

Kendrick

Post by Complete Novice »

Dear Torrylee

My daugher will be doing the Kendrick exam in 2010. I went to the open evening at Kendrick a few weeks ago and it is very impressive. I did wonder though when the headmistress was saying that you had to be "very clever" to go there, just how clever that meant. So, I plucked up the courage to speak to her afterwards and asked whether the school gave their pupils CAT (cognitive abilities tests) in Year 7 and if so what percentage of the national ability range did she think the school represented. I was expecting her to say something like the top 2% of the ability range but she said that it was roughly the top 10% of the population ie Cats scores of roughly 120+ .I know that it still comes down to being in the best 93 on the day (no mean feat) but this is certainly a broader intake than my daughter's school have always assumed Kendrick took. I don't know if your daugher has ever taken CAT tests but if so, hopefully these figures may give you some confidence.

Best of luck

CM
ks

Post by ks »

Hi Torrylee

My dd is also doing the Kendrick exam this November. It's approaching rapidly.

As for your question on writing on the exam paper, I've found this post from last year.

Kendrick mum said

[The nonverbal exam was sections and each section was timed and the girls were strictly advised not to go on to next section even if they completed the previous one and wait for instructions. The girls were allowed to write on the exam paper and not provided any scrap paper and were advised to refrain using the marking space for working out problems etc]

Hope that helps - good luck with the exam
Torrylee

Post by Torrylee »

Thanks for spotting that info ks, I remember reading that post but the detail obviously didn't sink in. It is helpful to know.

Hope your preparation is going well. I guess we'll get a letter about the test arrangements before too long. Every now and then DD gets quite nervous about how soon the test date is but I tell her that at least that means it will soon be over.

Complete Novice - thanks for the statistic! It is certainly interesting to hear, and as you say probably a higher figure than I would have assumed but I guess there are lots of different factors in play on test day. The good news is that as I understand it DD 'only' needs to be in the top 96 this year as there are now 3 extra places!
Terri

Post by Terri »

I have a daughter in Y8 at Kendrick and just asked her, she remembers they could write on the exam paper, has no memory of any other pieces of paper for workings. She agrees with the comment on Non Verbal , each section was taken separately, no opportunity to go back to previous sections.They had a few minutes reading time for the examples in each section, before they were allowed to pick up their pens and start writing, they had to put their pens down at the end of each section.

Our advice is take juice and something to eat between papers- its a long half day.

Good Luck Everybody.
Terri
Torrylee

OFSTED

Post by Torrylee »

Some of you might be interested to know that the latest Ofsted report for Kendrick is now available on the Ofsted website, following their inspection last month.
ks

Post by ks »

Thanks Torrylee - well spotted.
kavitha

Has anybody from Langley given Kendricks exam

Post by kavitha »

I was given Kendricks as the first option and stay in Langley.

My daughter has got through Langley Grammar (this was the 2nd option). Now people are saying that Langley will not offer as I have not placed it as the first option. This is worrying me.

If my daughter doesn't get through Kendricks and she loses langley becuase of the sequence of pref she will be dissappointed.

I heard we will have to wait till March to know if Kendricks is going to offer a place.

Any advice?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now