Message for Patricia

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Honor

Message for Patricia

Post by Honor »

Hi Patricia,

I know you are an expert for buckinghamshire selection tests, but I was hoping you could provide me with some much needed advice. I am hoping that my son sits the 11+ exam for the grammar school in Sutton. However, many parents have frighten the life out of me telling me that competion is so fierce and without hiring a tutor we stand no chance. :( Unfortunately, this is not an option for us due to the expense.
The format of the test is as follows:

The test is set by the school itself-

VR: (broadly NFER, set by school)
English: 30 mins- compren & grammar.
20min - essay
Maths: 30mins.

Where do I start and what do I buy? Could you recommend any material that may help. My son is currently in year5, and help greatly appreciated.

Thanks a Trillion
Honor
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Honour

To keep continuity I have posted a reply in the Surrey section....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=1086

Patricia

Post by Guest »

I wonder if anyone can help - maybe Patricia? My son started at a Bucks Grammar this September and has settled in really well. They have just bought home his 'grades' for tests which have been taken since starting. The idea being to give them a 'starting point' and a target to work towards in the next few months. As he gained entry on appeal i still have a 'feeling' that everyone is brighter than him and i wouldnt want him struggling. He has gained 5B's in the core English Maths and Science and 4B's and 4A'a in everything else apart from languages which he's never done before. Are these grades acceptable for Key Stage 3 in Year 7? Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Sam
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sam

Firstly, there is evidence that children who gain entry on appeal achieve less than their peers who gained entry by passing, so do NOT worry, of feel your son is inadequate in ANY way.

The grammars expect [ but do not necessarily achieve] level 7 in English and Science and 7/8 in Maths, in year 9 [ some now appear to take these tests in year 8, your school will inform you, if this is the case.] I wouldn't worry about your sons starting point, if you have any queries, ask to speak to your sons form tutor.

Bucks grammars can report general grades in their own fashion, there is no set rule. Generally, they tend to give grades each half term on 2 levels, achievement and effort, possibly letters for achievement and numbers for effort. After saying that the beginning of year 7 will probably be a tad different, teachers are still getting to know the childs personality/ability for each subject, may give starting SATs levels, may not receive a grade card/report/orders [ all mean the same thing!] until December.

If in doubt ask the school.

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Patricia, Thank you so much for your reply - you've certainly put my mind at rest. One thing surprised me - " evidence that children who gain entry on appeal can do slightly better", any idea how come? - although that bit did please me somewhat! :) My sons 'effort' grades are equally important to me (he acheived 1's and 2's for everthing) and i suppose as long as he puts the effort in the grades will come and even if they dont he is doing his very best. Thanks Again

Sam
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now