Previous Vets - Did you apply for Slough AND Tiffin?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaysDarlin

Previous Vets - Did you apply for Slough AND Tiffin?

Post by JaysDarlin »

To All Previous Slough 11+ Veterans,

Did you, or anyone you know, apply for both Tiffin AND Slough Consortium schools?

Rumour has it that Tiffin is a lot harder school to get into (as compared to the Slough schools), and I was wondering if there was a big difference between your dc's Slough score, and their Tiffin score?

It would be great if you could help - I know lots of people who would find this information invaluable.

Bewildered

Re: Previous Vets - Did you apply for Slough AND Tiffin?

Post by Bewildered »

JaysDarlin wrote:
Rumour has it that Tiffin is a lot harder school to get into (as compared to the Slough schools)
Sorry can't help, but I guess that rumours are based on the higher publicity that surrounds Tiffin as a London Grammar. I've often heard quotes of 10:1 ratio of applicants to places, therefore making it appear harder than other grammar entry.
Last year 1104 children sat for LGS, therefore it would be a similar ratio, and therefore comparative in terms of difficulty of entry.

Just my thoughts :D

BW
Will

Post by Will »

I asked my DS's tutor how the consortium and Tiffin exam results compare (is the Tiffin test harder than the consortium?) and her view was that they are pretty much the same, and that the cohort is probably similar. So is it just a myth that Tiffin is harder to get into? I hope it's a myth - my son didn't perform well in LG test (pass of 113) and we hope to do much better at Tiffin this week.

Doe's anyone have examples of where their DS or DD did better at Tiffin than the LG?

Another question: How do the scores compare? Is LG just an average of the 2 scores of VR and NVR and is Tiffin added together ?
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi, Will, welcome on board :lol:

I do hope its a myth - although I had a PM from a member who said her child passed Langley, Reading, Bucks, but not Tiffin. :(
Is LG just an average of the 2 scores of VR and NVR and is Tiffin added together ?
I think so, yes.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

When making comparisons be aware that some LEAs allow six choices and some three, this can affect the number sitting the exam. Some exams are two stages, some all on one day. Even a child taking a number of exams will either get better with time or suffer battle fatigue. I would avoid comparisons. Do the best you can and be pleased with your childs result. :)

steve
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

Hi, my son took the Slough consorium, Bucks and Tiffin a few years ago (about 7 years ago I think, he's in the Lower 6th form now). Passed the Herschel and Bucks exams with flying colours with scores of 123 and 125 respectively. He scored 228 over both papers (average 114) in the Tiffin exam which shows that the Tiffin exam must have been harder. Fortunately it was enough to get into Tiffin that year.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The Bucks test was scored differently then - and the qualifying mark is 121 -

Also you can't really compare scores as they are all standardised differently.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now