cut off scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
outofcounty

cut off scores

Post by outofcounty »

Was just wondering about cut off scores for superselectives....
When schools submit their initial list of offers to 'county admissions people' in January does anyone know whether individual schools would be willing to divulge their initial cut offs at that point :?:
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Someone with better local knowledge may correct me, but I think that Judd, Skinners and TOGS are willing to say what the cut-off score was on allocation day.

I don't think that the cut-off score before the allocation process is complete would be that meaningful. (I think this is what you are suggesting by your January proposal - also I'm not sure that the allocation process is that unsophisticated now with lists of pupils being sent in by schools --- I'm presuming it is now a centralised process with a database that works out who to offer places to). Also, I don't think these schools like to say what the score was of the lowest achieving entrant after waiting lists, appeals etc etc.
outofcounty

Post by outofcounty »

ok, when a school is sent the list of offers to be made in the first instance (before non-uptakes and appeals), they will obviously know the cut off at this point. I realise this will not be the final list or the final cut off.
I know they can't talk 'names' until allocation day.
I have a kid at home who has a high score (but not a maximum score) and it could be very helpful to know this info.
I just wondered whether that is a reasonable request to a school?
shuff

Post by shuff »

Yes I agree with you OOC, it would be very interesting to find out such information before March. I would imagine it will be very hush hush though! What sort of results did your son's school achieve overall? At our school results were mainly all lower than previous years, most under 400.
outofcounty

Post by outofcounty »

Have now done a bit of finding out to get the process clear in my head!

According to a bit tucked away in the Judd website, it says that the LA sends out a list in alphabetical order to the school (in Jan) listing all those names who put Judd as one of their preferences (any order). The head then applies the school oversubscription criteria (ie, ranks the scores, with distance from school only relevant if scores are tied and sends a list back a rank order list to the LA. Then the LA allocates the first 125 places to those who put Judd first or their first choice was not allocated.

So, I guess the 125th ranked score by the head could be higher than the cut off allocation by the LA - but perhaps not a lot higher in the case of the Judd, where not putting first choice could be a waste of a space of the form, it being so selective.
outofcounty

Post by outofcounty »

DS got 416, so based on previous years cut offs should be fine for the Judd. But when we told his tutor the good news they seemed to think that scores might be higher than ever, based on higher than usual results this year and more expected applications to the Judd, due to knowing the results beforehand. Although I am very hopeful, DS knows this info. unfortunately, and is anxious and keeps returning to the subject... - just thought it might be a way of putting him out of his misery before March.

I think it's great knowing whether you child has 'passed' the 11+ before making an application to a school, but it doesn't help people going for superselectives, where I think it would be easier getting the results and the allocation together!
outofcounty

Post by outofcounty »

sorry shuff - didn't answer your question - only 2 took the tests, DS and one other who 'just' passed.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I still don't think they'll tell you any cut-off scores before allocation day; but you could e-mail all the super-selectives now and ask them if they would.

Good luck.
outofcounty

Post by outofcounty »

good idea, many thanks :)
shuff

Post by shuff »

I'm sure he will get in without any problem with that high score, the head has said more than once that he is anticipating a lower score line this year due to the earlier test. Lots of other things to take into consideration too, so it is going to be a relief to find out in March. If you get any more info. from the schools, do let us know!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now