suutton grammar chool for boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
patricia

sutton grammar chool for boys

Post by patricia »

Dear Honor

To keep continuity I have copied your post from the Bucks Section and pasted here in the surrey area......

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:29 pm Post subject: Message for Patricia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Patricia,

I know you are an expert for buckinghamshire selection tests, but I was hoping you could provide me with some much needed advice. I am hoping that my son sits the 11+ exam for the grammar school in Sutton. However, many parents have frighten the life out of me telling me that competion is so fierce and without hiring a tutor we stand no chance. Unfortunately, this is not an option for us due to the expense.
The format of the test is as follows:

The test is set by the school itself-

VR: (broadly NFER, set by school)
English: 30 mins- compren & grammar.
20min - essay
Maths: 30mins.

Where do I start and what do I buy? Could you recommend any material that may help. My son is currently in year5, and help greatly appreciated.

Thanks a Trillion
Honor

Dear Honor

Unfortunately I am no expert on Sutton Grammar school, their website does not offer much information either.

http://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk/

With regard to the Verbal Reasoning, is the format standard ot multiple choice?......you could ring the school or even ring some tutors....you need to know as the type of questions will vary depending on which format......you need to start asking questions.

Others in this section may be able to help you.

With regard to tutors, we have our place, but the private route does not suit everyone. Do NOT believe any one who tells you that you MUST have a tutor. This forum is for parents wishing to do it themselves [ DIY ]

Try to find out as much as you can from the school, other parents, teachers and tutors......post back again with any information and we can take it from there.

My apologies for not being able to give more conclusive advice.

Patricia
Karen

Post by Karen »

Dear Honor

I can't really add much more but info I got from the school prospectus:

'Sample papers are not available but we do encourage parents tp purchase VR papers from NFER Nelson. You must buy the multiple choice papers'

As for the maths from what I've been told it covers all of year 6 curriculum and beyond.

There are very few tutors that I was able to find, the good ones are a closely guarded secret, one that I never could infiltrate.

As you will see from my post lower down I decided not to go for Sutton Grammar. I think it is entirely reasonable to tutuor yourself. There is loads of info out there this forum is excellent . I just wish more Sutton parents visited it.

Good luck I'm sure you both can succeed if you start now. Enter your son for the mock test at Sutton grammar they start before the summer hols and cost £15 that might give him an idea of what they are like.

Karen

Post by Guest »

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the advice.

I am not even considering a tutor going down the DIY route, asking parents for advice on this forum when I am stuck (can see it happening). If he get in he gets in if not its not the end of the world.

Did you ever watch "Admission Impossible" with that poor boy who was practically petterified of his father. His father was "guarding" the tutor as he did not want anyone to gain his advantage.

Bet he is going to thank his dad in 10 years time , NOT!

Cheers
H
Louise

Post by Louise »

Definately enter your son for the Sutton Grammar mock exams, they take place in July, September and October. Word of warning my daughter sat the mock exam in September and the Maths paper is extremely hard, so if it's anything like the real thing make sure his maths is up to speed. Papers for VR and NVR are similar to AFN, NFER and Bright Sparks.

Post by Guest »

Are you coaching your daughter yourself Louise?

How did she find the mock essay writing? Are they "10 year friendly" ?

Do they mark and give you the results?

Sorry for all the questions.

H
Karen

Post by Karen »

Hi Honour

I did watch admission impossible, it was scary thats what put me off the school. When I walked round and met other children and parents they seemed very much like that. My son is bright but he's not a boffin, I just don't think he would fit in. When my son did the mock they covered VR NVR Maths and a comprehension and you get the marks before the date for submitting the transfer form. There is no essay in the mock as it's all computer marked. It's run by the PTA as a money making exercise (they must make many thousands from this- if you're on th PTA at any other grammar schools take note)

The school as such have nothing to do with it other than suppplying the facilities. It's different to the actual exam as no essay and includes NVR so it's good if you say want to applt to tiffins. It's also open to boys and girls. It gives them some idea of how the exams are on the day.

Another good thing which I never thought of is if you enter your son twice say in the first round in july and then again in oct you could see if they've improved.

Karen
Louise

Post by Louise »

No I am not tutoring myself my daughter has a tutor. No essay writing only reading comprehension. When you get the results you can compare marks with everyone else because all the results are listed by candidate number. It is a PTA money making exercise but it is worth it as it gives them an idea of what a real exam will be like because there are alot of children doing the exam and they sit in a big hall and are timed, 2 hours from start to finish. All papers were year 10 friendly except maths, more like KS3 standard. We don't need maths for our exam so not too worried.
LYY

Post by LYY »

We have received the letter from Sutton Grammar School regarding the details of the exams such as time of the test, how to fill the answer sheets.... It also attached few pages of some sample of the type of questions to be expected in the papers.

English test: (section 1 - 3 multiple choice)
Section one - spelling, punctuation types of questions.
Section two - fill the missing words
Section three -Comprehension questions from a passage of about 30 lines
Section four - short essay (20 mins)

Maths: numbers in sequence, arrange sets of fraction and sets of decimals in order of size (samples questions) - It seems you have to write it down the answers rather than mulitple choice.

Verbal reasoning: similar to the NFER questions (multiple choice). Some of the questions start with a worked example.

It is quite good at least I know little bit more what my son should be expected especially on English.

LYY

Post by Guest »

Thanks for that. Is the Wallington test similar. I thought they were both same and you can sit either. Has anyone had experience of the Wallington test?

Cathy
big H

Sutton Grammar Entrance Exams

Post by big H »

[quote="LYY"]We have received the letter from Sutton Grammar School regarding the details of the exams such as time of the test, how to fill the answer sheets.... It also attached few pages of some sample of the type of questions to be expected in the papers.

English test: (section 1 - 3 multiple choice)
Section one - spelling, punctuation types of questions.
Section two - fill the missing words
Section three -Comprehension questions from a passage of about 30 lines
Section four - short essay (20 mins)

Maths: numbers in sequence, arrange sets of fraction and sets of decimals in order of size (samples questions) - It seems you have to write it down the answers rather than mulitple choice.

Verbal reasoning: similar to the NFER questions (multiple choice). Some of the questions start with a worked example.

It is quite good at least I know little bit more what my son should be expected especially on English.

LYY[/quote]