CDs Helped daughter pass - thankyou.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Gary

CDs Helped daughter pass - thankyou.

Post by Gary »

Following on from my initial posting as to the success with the CDS in the CD section of this forum.

I forgot to post a thank you note to elevenplusexams.co.uk (my daughter passed her 11 plus!! Yippeeeeee! ) for providing all the support, encouragement, advice and the material to assist my daughter in this process. We would not have done it without you.

regards
Gary
Neela

CDs

Post by Neela »

Congrulations to you and your daughter.

We've had similar experience with some of the children at my school. I work at a private primary school that has tried the CDS as we are keen to improve the percentage of children that obtain admissions in top schools.

The school hopes to establish regular lunch time or after school sessions where children can practice on the computer using the software. It has become of particular interest after Eton announced that it's 11 plus exams will be computer based in future - we expect that some other schools will follow.
Millie67

CDs

Post by Millie67 »

I had good experience with the CDS too, though I have to admit I was not advertising this before my daugther sat her exams for fear that others would catch on and compete with her!!

I think that once children have had sufficient understanding of question types from physical papers, practice on the CDS really helps to speed up and improve performance that little bit extra enough to score a pass.

The CDS got my daughter self motivated and she was in the end scoring average of 96%-98% but when she first started practice on the CDs it was around 80-85%. She had peaked with physical papers at around the same mark. The questions were of same quality on the CD as on the physical papers so I know that her high marks represented a genuine improvement.

She is a natural at maths but in the end she felt she excelled in Verbal Reasoning exam having practised on the four CDS during previous two months - and she had plenty of time at the end to check through any difficult questions. Unfortuantely the maths CDs were not released in time for my daughter's exams. I think the reason that the CD's work for children is because it appears less tedious, they see it as a computer game which they try to better their score each time. Helping them have this determination to improve their previous recorded score and time, is, I think, the key in getting them to focus in order to improve accuracy and speed.

If you feel your child has peaked with physical practice papers you should not give up as you can definitely further increase their score by practice on the CD and that extra few percent can make all the difference.

Re: CDs

Post by Guest »

[quote="Millie67"]I had good experience with the CDS too, though I have to admit I was not advertising this before my daugther sat her exams for fear that others would catch on and compete with her!!

Not quite in the spirit of this forum is it? Everyone relies on others to share their experiences and advice, not just browse the forum, use the ideas and then keep anything that helps to themselves. Just aswell everyone doesn't take this attitude, otherwise the forum wouldn't exist at all
Millie67

Post by Millie67 »

Dear Guest,

I know you are right it is not in the spirit of this forum. But please !! - get real!

When people are competiting against eachother for anything in life, whether its in business, job, sport, exams or any competition they simply do not go out giving all the knowledge to help their competitors. This human nature and we all do things like this.

I was not telling the people I knew who were applying for the same school about the CDS. However, I did not particularly go out of my way NOT to post them on the forum. The forum is national and for a wider audience whereas discussing the CDS outside the primary school with other parents is not. I noticed that other parents who's children were competing with mine were similarly coy about what they were doing - its human nature and whilst we all like to pretend that we are perfect we are not.
SandraX

Cds software

Post by SandraX »

The good results with use of the CDs does not surprise me at all.
My husband and I run a small private tuition centre and have in the last 2 year’s been using software applications and have seen dramatic improvements in test marks than when we’ve taught children ourselves. I think this works because children these days are raised in a digital environment and need to have instant visual feedback on their performance and scoring. With software which is similar to computer games, they have a natural drive to compete for rewards/higher scoring which they don’t have when it comes to paper based testing. Thus repeated practice on the computer almost comes automatically without any pushing. It’s this motivation that brings results.
Mike Edwards

Post by Mike Edwards »

Hi Millie

We are pleased that you found the CDs helpful.

You are right to point out that 11+ is highly competitive and whatever yours or anyones elses motives are you are looking to give your child the best opportunity of passing the test and gaining a place.

Unfortunately for you being honest about your motives may attract some criticism.

As in any busines we look for positive referrals from satisfied customers. You and others have taken the time to write to the forum giving positive feedback and therefore positive guidance to potential purchasers of the CDs. Many people choose not to do that.

Thank you

Mike
The Inquisitor

Congratulations

Post by The Inquisitor »

Congrats to you who have passed
Millie67

CDs

Post by Millie67 »

Thank you for your comment Mike.

This forum and site has been a source of support for me and I'm sure any one who visits it and though I don't have any further need for 11 plus advice I would freely give advice to anyone. The CDs were a truly fantastic idea which I am grateful for and I am sure the good work that you and others are doing with them CDS will continue.
Smiley

CDs

Post by Smiley »

I definitely agree on the comment by SandraX as to why CDs have improved scoring ie that it improves motivation. This really is the key as any disinterested child cannot do their best and excel no matter how clever.

My son got very lazy after the initial phase of coaching, and I to got lazy in marking ! however with the CDs he practices by himself without prompting and is gradully improving . I'm very pleased as it saved alot of my own time in marking and copying the papers and its also helped me to ascertain exactly which question types he is taking longer with.

I love the fact that there a pause button which can be pressed in the middle of a test to enable him to continue a test later. There's no chance of cheating as the question disappears off screen and the timer runs again if you log back in to check the question. This has made is easier to use any spare time available to do tests under time conditions . With normal papers we had to ensure there was proper time before bedtime or dinner to do a whole timed test.

I understand Maths CD will be released any day, and am looking foward to tryig that with my son too.

PS I 'll be having a massive shreding session of papers when its over.