west london independent schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MittenKitty

west london independent schools

Post by MittenKitty »

Hi there,

not sure of protocol and if this kind of question is acceptable but does anyone have any inside views on some of the schools in West London. Am looking at Latymer Upper, Harrodian, Arts Ed, Notting Hill and Ealing, St James. Hearing positives and negatives about them all - anyone have a view on what sort of child suits each?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi!

St James: fantastic school - an oasis in London which cares about the child and not exam results although it does very well and has introduced IGCSE's for rigour - pastoral care second to none.

Notting Hill - pressurised and snobby and if your child doesn't make the grade then they get kicked out! Lots of parents who privately tutor whilst at this school because "everyone" does it! :roll:

Latymer - will kick you out if your GCSE's aren't up to scratch and many parents say there is quite a bit of bullying here. Prep school is great though. Not good for the sensitive or shy.

Harrodian - Excellent pastoral care and caters for the individual and quirky kids.

Arts Ed - only for kids with ambition, drive, confidence and competitive, and true talent and/or beauty or it could seriously affect their self-esteem being surrounded by such. Still very good academic results considering its slant towards the dramatic arts.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi

I think the challenge is you will hear more positives and negatives here as well!

For what it's worth I would say...

St James - no idea

Harrodian - lots of super chic super weatlhy rock kids etc. Friends with kids there love it.

Notting Hill and Ealing - has a new head so may change, takes a large proportion of local children (over 50%), more state primary educated than Harrodian, pretty parochial and not too stressed, but more academic than Harrodian. Friends with kids there love it, some who turned it down or didn't apply/get in less positive.

Latymer Upper -no evidence of bullying that I have seen, more bursaries/scholarships than most locally and hence more academically selective. Prep school kids seem to be given automatic entrance and behave accordingly...Friends with kids there love it, some who turned it down or didn't get in less positive.

Always a difficult decision, all you can hope for is hearsay and personal experience, go with your gut feel. Good luck.
mad?
MittenKitty

Post by MittenKitty »

thankyou both for your responses - appreciate it

what you say ties up pretty much with what I'm thinking

daughter is clever but has a few dyslexia issues so work can be a bit scruffy or spell badly - although that's got loads better.

I'm not sure if she's clever enough for Latymer - although she might well be - her verbal comprehension is extremely high.

I wonder if I ought to worry about the reports of girls in short skirts from Notting Hill meeting up with boys in the shopping centre - don't they all do that? Quite liked the school when i went - reminded me of mine - girls grammar - and loved the new head - very energetic and inspirational. But its a bit further from us

Not sure if she's driven enough for Arts Ed - she takes main roles in the plays and is musical but its not a vocation for her I dont think so maybe she'd not fit in. But it's walking distance from home - very tempting!

And although we loved Harrodian and I suspect it does very well by some children she can be a bit lazy and need a bit of a push and I worry its a bit too laid back and she wont do what she's capable of

Anyone else know St James? - concern there is how religious/spiritual are they - rumours of cult etc. I dont really buy that but it rasied some concerns.

And agree completely have to go with instinct - and the small matter of which exams she passes!

thanks for help so far - any other comments to feed into the mix??
hopeforthebest

west london independents

Post by hopeforthebest »

oo.
Last edited by hopeforthebest on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Part of an article on St James' pastoral care:
Highly praised. Pupils like the mentoring system and the 'strong bond' they feel to many teachers. Younger pupils are assigned sixth form prefects, older ones have teachers. 'Your mentor is your friend – they always give you someone who doesn't teach you – you go to her with any problems – not just academic ones.' Head relies on the 'very strong programme of education' to guard against the usual teenage problems. 'We emphasise strengthening a girl's social conscience and confidence...if you present with difficulties we will help you so long as you are not harming the rest of the community.' On bullying, 'we keep working at it... stressing the importance of unity and not harming each other'.

The school's strong spiritual ethos underpins the disciplinary side but girls don't feel it's thrust down their throats. A parent expressed the general view – 'we like the way they approach education – they believe strongly in the spiritual side of it – it doesn't invade life but they look at the whole development of the girl and believe that the academics will follow'. A sixth former confided, 'Mrs Hyde wants us to be great women – she doesn't want us just to stay at home'. She herself says, 'my emphasis is on creating responsible citizens'. Who wouldn't fit in? 'Someone who is only out for themselves wouldn't find themselves in their natural environment...our girls are gentle on the outside but inwardly strong and independent – they are women of some integrity.'
Nou

Post by Nou »

Hi,

Know people with kids at four of those schools;

Latymer Upper - definitely very fashionable at the moment especially for boys; parents really praise it and like it and so do the kids, facilities are described as amazing.

St James' - Friend with girl there says they take the religious bit very seriously and it does feel like a "cult". Teenage girls wear flat shoes and seem devoid of make up (a bit unusual?).

Notting Hill and Ealing High - reputation in the neighbourhood for producing rather arrogant girls. Seemed OK to me but a bit bland?(daughter got in but we didn't take the place).

Arts Ed - look closely at the GCSE results as they might not as great as they first appear. Had a look round last year and the staff seemed to know very little about dyslexia. Know two kids there, both love it though neither are particularly talented they just enjoy it. The building seems very run down.

Good luck!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hello again Nou!

How nice to see you, and it's good to know that you are still watching the Forum occasionally. :D

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
hopeforthebest

West London independents

Post by hopeforthebest »

Last edited by hopeforthebest on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Ok, you've dissuaded me from ever sending a girl there H4TB (do you mind my shortening your user name? ). :lol: Still, if we could live in a eutopian society it would be nice - still an oasis in London, but maybe that's the last thing we need in London as our kids need to be more streetwise.