CATS Tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ahs

CATS Tests

Post by ahs »

At present we are going through CATS tests. Can any body say what score is needed to have a good chance in the 11+.

AHS :roll: :shock: :D
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear AHS

The following link is a starting point for you....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hlight=cat

Patricia
ahs

CATS

Post by ahs »

Patricia,

many thanks for the help once thew results are out I will have a better understanding of them..

AHS :P
Buttercup

CAT TESTS

Post by Buttercup »

Hi Patricia or anyone out there.
What an interesting site this is.
On the subject of CAT tests, would a score of 119 for a 9 year 3month old child be good enough for a Grammar school?The indicated KS2 levels have been placed at 5C for English, 5B for maths and 5B for Science. Would this be acceptable for entrance to a Grammar?
Thankyou all for such helpful and interesting reads, Im up till midnight reading some of the entries some nights.
Buttercup
Road Runner

CATS

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Buttercup

I still have my sons CATS tests results and his average when he took it was 119. He was 9 + 6 months. We were told this was above average The KS2 indicators said English 5C, Maths and Science 5B.

We were told anyone over 110 should definetly do the 11+ as 110 was above average.

For your information my son did pass and he is now in Grammar school. I haveto say after passing we were not too concerned with SATS and told him that. Infact he got high 5's in all three subjects.

With help (and I say this because I believe like many, that all children need some form of coaching) your son will do it.

I guess you still have a way to go before he takes it.

MelX
Buttercup

CAT TESTS

Post by Buttercup »

Hi Mel
Thankyou for your reply, and for the encouragement, yes we still have time and yes we are going to go for it now. Its more reassuring now knowing that your sons score was the same and he is now in Grammar school.Hope he does well .
Buttercup
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Some caution is needed in comparing CATs with the 11+ because they are standardised differently, and carried out under different circumstances.

If attempting a comparison with the 11+, we should use the CAT VR score rather than the overall average of three completely different CAT tests (VR, quantitative, and NVR).

Schools often provide parents with a detailed printout of the CAT results, and it's worth looking to see whether the VR score is around the 90th percentile (just my view).

Also, if the school administers CATs only once, it's worth bearing in mind that no single test result is entirely reliable.
Etienne
SJ

Post by SJ »

Etienne wrote:Also, if the school administers CATs only once, it's worth bearing in mind that no single test result is entirely reliable.
This has always been my feeling about the SATS test aswell. Pupils could be having an off day, or feeling under the weather for whatever reason or some personal trauma or disruption may have occurred that effects them.
Buttercup

CAT TESTS

Post by Buttercup »

Hi Etienne
Excusse my ignorance, but where do I find what percentile he is on. On the detailed sheet under the VR section he has scored as follows:
73 out of the 78 questions attempted,
Raw score is 64,
SAS is 114,
ST is 7,
NPR is 82.
In the Standard Age scores with 90% confidence band,he is highlighted at 110 to 120 in the 7 & 8 above average range the big black dot being mainly positioned over the 7 range.
Is this what I should be looking at, and is this result good enough for him to achieve the right results for him to get into and achieve well in a grammar school? He is a July baby.
Thanks
Buttercup
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Buttercup

NPR = national percentile rank. Your son's VR is at the 82nd percentile, which means he is in the top 18% in the country.

I wouldn't really want to attempt a comparison with grammar school standard, based on a single result. The "confidence band" shows the sort of margin of error we should be mindful of - there's a 90% chance that your son's "true score" lies somewhere within the 10 mark range (110-120). He might be towards the top end of this range - which would be encouraging!

A similar margin of error probably applies to the 11+, but the 11+ test is repeated, so the overall picture is more reliable (and if one score is lower than the other, the Local Authority is generous enough to give candidates the benefit of the doubt!).

Kind regards
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now