Confused.

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hairless

Confused. Yr 8 Progress.

Post by Hairless »

My son has recieved Progress Report for first term Year 8. His History target for Yr 9 is 7a, yet he has a level now of 8C. His level at the end of Yr7 was 7c. Does this seem possible? I know they have not covered all of the syllabus. He goes to a GS, has been identified as G&T in several subjects, but this does not seem credible. Advice from Guest 55 / any teachers please?[/b]
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Hairless,

What does not seem credible - the fact your son got these scores or that he is expected to achieve less than thes scores? Could the expected grade just be the same grade that they put on everyone's report along with the actual grade? Well done on him doing so well! :)
Hairless

Post by Hairless »

T.I.P.S.Y

What does not seem credible - the fact your son got these scores or that he is expected to achieve less than thes scores? Could the expected grade just be the same grade that they put on everyone's report along with the actual grade? Well done on him doing so well!

I am just very surprised that someone can be assessed at such a high level without having covered all the syllabus, and wish to know if this is practiced in other schools. I don't know (and can't find out until next term) if this was a misprint. I do know that his result was the highest in the class, and yes we are pleased if this is true.
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

A child on-course to reach the benchmark in Yr11 would be expected to achieve one full NC level every two years, more or less. A 2 sub-level increase from end of Yr 7 to end of Year 9 (or would they still be thinking in terms of May) would seem reasonable.

To go from a 7C to an 8C in one term is very rapid progress, but it is possible if your son is really keen on the topics studied this past term. On the other hand, a different teacher might mark differently.

And your child isn't being assessed on the whole syllabus, just on what has been covered. As such it's not a predicted grade, it just what he achieved this term.

so well done to him so far. May it continue.
Opinion counts for nothing - show me the evidence!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Hi Hairless,

Did the school do the same thing in Y7? My daughter (Y7) has had a similar sounding progress report with the same kinds of oddities.

Apparently the targets (in our case called 'shoulds') were set following tests they did at the beginning of the school year. These 'shoulds' are the levels they should achieve at the end of Y9 based on the tests. My daughter is already ahead in two subjects (apparently she is working at 6B in R.E which I find very hard to believe! - targetted 6C at end Y9), at the predicted Y9 level in one and is only a couple of sub-levels below in most of the others.

I found it all a bit baffling, but have decided to ignore it for now as nothing looks bad - she is 'ahead' (of schedule) in most subjects and on target for the rest.

I am with you in not understanding how they can be assessed so highly when they haven't covered much of the syllabus but can only assume that the work they're being assessed on is of the level described.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Ian35mm is right, the 8c awarded this term may very well be for one topic, or indeed one assessment, - it doesn't necessarily mean that he is consistently achieving this day in day out. However, it's a fantastic score nevertheless, and it might be worth getting in touch with the school to find out how they're going to stretch him further, particularly as he has another year and two terms to go before GCSEs set in.
Bougalou
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi there,

I would expect that the level is on a specific assessment and he has done very well! Similar things happen to other children and levels do not always go up as topics may not be as interesting to some children!

When is Parents Evening? If it's soon then you can ask then - if not is there a feedback slip to return? If so put your question down. I think some schools could go a lot further to explain these levels and targets and what is significant and what is not!!
Hairless

Post by Hairless »

Thank you for all the replies - they have certainly helped. The only explanation we received was'above target'. Parents' Evening is not until next June. I have returned the comment slip as several other subjects need discussing. He is in set 1 for Maths, in the two assessments he has had, he scored 93% and 98%,was given a 6a and was considered 'slightly below target'!!! Have a Happy Christmas.