IPS TYPE N (SD type 33)

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Linda

IPS TYPE N (SD type 33)

Post by Linda »

hello everyone,

my son took SD papers and every time he is slow at type 33. (IPS type N)

E.g:
**** YYYY ZZZZ AAAA
1234 9876 5678 (JUST A EXAMPLE!) :wink:

HOW CAN HE PRACTICE HIS SPEED?
thanx...
:?:
linda
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

These are very difficult for most children, but as they are worth more than one mark for solving the pattern, they're a must!

Its a case of scanning the three word for common letter that match the numbers. This is something that the children really need to develop for themselves as there is often more than one 'right' approach.

But for an example:-

BONE NOTE PAST PEAT

2164 8476 5124

two numbers end in 4, two words end in T, therefore, T could be 4,

BUT

8476 would mean T as a second letter. That can't be right so 4 has therefore got to be E

PAST has no E, therefore it is eliminated.

With 4 in the second place of PEAT, the code for PEAT is 8476

and so on.

One of the questions is always a numbers to turn back into a word. In this case - 816761 - which means POTATO. DO THIS QUESTION FIRST! If this question results in a real word, then you've cracked it - the others can't be checked as they will result in lines of numbers

Practise, practise, practise.

If ther are four questions, then the child have (an average of) 150 seconds to solve the pattern.

I work on these on a regular basis, but have found that I have to make up my own examples so that I can set them for homework of a regular basis.

If children do find them particularly hard, then leave the whole section till towards the end of the test and hope that they have built up a time 'buffer'.
Opinion counts for nothing - show me the evidence!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I always scan from the first letter/number:

PAST and PEAT both start with P none of the numbers start with the same number so one of these words will be eliminated.

BONE and NOTE have O as second letter 2164 and 5124 have 1 in second place so letter O = 1 and also E = 4

so PEAT = 8476 and I would write one under the other:

PEAT

so we now know T = 6 so NOTE = 2164 etc

Good tip to decode the numbers first as this is a double check!!
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

But from the same practise paper the other question was

SPIN TALK PINT NEST

1467 6237 3146

So looking for first letters/numbers would not help much.

On reflection I'm reminded of an example from John Holt's 'How Children Fail'. Given a 50/50 choice some children get it right, and equal number get it wrong.

But, the same amount of information is gained in either case. In my example I deliberatley started with the wrong letter, but it doesn't matter. It its right, Hooray. If its wrong, then the other answer must be right, Hooray.

One of the things that it's important to learn it that's it's often OK to get the 'wrong' answer.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ian35mm wrote:SPIN TALK PINT NEST

1467 6237 3146
In that example I would point out to the child that the same series of 3 numbers appears twice: 1 - 4 - 6.

Therefore they only have to look for 146* and *146, and the only words that fit the pattern are PINT and SPIN.

It is a shortcut that I have noticed in a few Type N questions, and is always worth scanning for on the first pass, because it saves a lot of time.

I am always looking for shortcuts on these questions, because I find them the hardest of all. :oops:

Sally-Anne
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

Wel, that's why I didn't use that example first :lol:

Far too easy :roll:
Linda

Post by Linda »

hi, everyone!!!

Oh WOW... so many ways. he will be busy now. :shock:

thanx everyone. i think he should do it backwards just like what ian35mm said. and of course try to find something like 146 as PIN will work a lot :arrow:
:P
LINDA
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ian35mm wrote:Wel, that's why I didn't use that example first :lol:

Far too easy :roll:
Now now Ian - settle down! I have admitted that I am a dunce on Type N, but I do find patterns are really useful in these questions, and no one had mentioned the concept before. :D :lol:

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What is important is finding a method your child understands and can replicate in all questions - we all have sight variations because we are all different. No way is 'best' in every question ... :D
ian35mm

Post by ian35mm »

Dont get me started on patterns :D

I have my year 4's starting with type P number sequences. Once they see that a large proportion of the question are really just two simple number sequences woven together, they can set their own and test each other within about 10 minutes. For homework I get them to write questions to give to their parents. (Now that can be very funny.) lol
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now