Admissions and Transport

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sparrow

Admissions and Transport

Post by Sparrow »

Hello
I wonder if anyone knows the importance of access to public transport in terms of admission to grammar school? If you live in a small village with no transport to the school even if it is within 3 miles would this be considered in the selection process? Would appreciate any comments or personal experience of this. Thanks
Sparrow
Jed

Post by Jed »

I've never heard of access to transport being an admissions criteria, although it does vary from county to county and school to school. All the schools we ever looked at (in BUCKS and OXON) only counted distance, never asking HOW you would get there.

Look at the individual schools admissions criteria to make sure.

Jed

Post by Guest »

It is the LEA that applies the difference criteria.

Basically they look at the distance from the childs home to the school in a straight line.

If you imagine a number of radii from the school, that is how the system works.

How the child gets to school is primarily irrelevant to the LEA and is the responsibility of the parent.

Post by Guest »

Latymer School in Edmonton will only consider your application if you live within one hour's travelling time of the school by public transport. I know that people have been asked by the school to explain how their child will travel if there is any doubt that they might not be able to get there within the hour required.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your replies. I am interested as I used to work in a grammar school in Lincs and remember one of my colleagues mentioned it as a consideration when deciding between two candidates with the same score. The school we are looking at is a Foundation school and therefore doesnt come under the LEA.
Best wishes
Sparrow
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now