Cramming

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T.i.p.s.y

Cramming

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Because I have taken DS2 out of school he needs to sit some entry tests in January. Being London, they are all selective and he has had no tutoring. His English and VR are strong but his maths is weak. His main problem is confidence issues and he panics when maths questions are put in front of him, especially ones in the written form. He needs constant reassurance and when I ask him to re-read the question he seems to understand it - but I won't be there during the test.

Basically I want to know what a Year 3 boy is likely to retain in 2 weeks. I need to teach him negative numbers, fractions (including lowest term), venn diagrams, time and basic division. I also need to incorporate these topics into written problem-solving questions.

I'd love some advice from any teachers or tutors, or someone who has gone through the same experience! :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi Tipsy,

Why don't you use some KS2 test papers - available freely on:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS2SAT.htm#Mathematics

The answers are there too!! :lol:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks Guest55, these tests are really helpful and I wish I'd known about them before spending a fortune on bond assessments! :x But how much will he retain? I am stressed and I am concerned that he will go into the exams stressed because of me! :( Any tips?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Let him work through one and see what he can do - this will give you an objective view of where he is. In Y3 he won't have met all the topics but there's nothing too scary ...

Then pick topics he can't do near the beginning (as these are lower level topics) - it's better to do a few key things well and for him to retain them!!

I'm so sorry it didn't work out for him at his previous school -
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks G55! We are deeply disappointed and it has left us in a real pickle. Normally I wouldn't bother with all this extra work but I don't want to move him again so he needs to either get into a school which is good or get a scholarship and unfortuately around here that means selection. :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No problem - happy to help -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks2bitesize/

Try this too - makes it fun and the games make them think it's not work!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

This is a very useful site too.

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Thanks yoyo! :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - that's a great site - very useful for homework research on almost anything! :D
stevew61

Re: Cramming

Post by stevew61 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Because I have taken DS2 out of school he needs to sit some entry tests in January. Being London, they are all selective and he has had no tutoring. His English and VR are strong but his maths is weak. His main problem is confidence issues and he panics when maths questions are put in front of him, especially ones in the written form. He needs constant reassurance and when I ask him to re-read the question he seems to understand it - but I won't be there during the test.

Basically I want to know what a Year 3 boy is likely to retain in 2 weeks. I need to teach him negative numbers, fractions (including lowest term), venn diagrams, time and basic division. I also need to incorporate these topics into written problem-solving questions.

I'd love some advice from any teachers or tutors, or someone who has gone through the same experience! :)
Hi Tipsy,

My use of bold. I think your answer lies in your question. :)

Work on confidence, you have already identified that if he does not understand a question read it twice.

Look at the new topics in a fun way with lots of praise.

Year 3? Don't get too carried away, boost his confidence look at a year 2 KS1 level 3 paper.

Focus on doing well in English and VR, and doing your best in maths.

Two weeks to go only three things matter Confidence, Confidence and Confidence! :lol: :lol:

Good luck, best wishes and seasons greetings.

steve
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now