Reading choral scores - advice please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Seeing as this is a musical thread, DS2 has declared that he wants to sing Gaudete for his next choir audition! :shock: So if I wasn't stressed enough about his maths ability I now have to give myself an A-Z lesson on latin and how to read score. Any advice? PLEASE!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Tipsy

I have split this from the "Flute, Clarinet, Oboe?" thread because it doesn't quite fit there, and you may get more replies to a new thread.

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What do you need to know Tipsy? How to pronounce the Latin or which notes to sing?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I'd dig out an old Steeleye Span album (Belew the Salt, 1973) featuring Gaudete - or buy one off iTunes (79p for the tune) * . I would have offered to get Ashley Hutchings to sing it down the 'phone to you, but he left Steeleye the year before they did that album and doesn't like people asking him what part he sang.

Oddly 25 years or so later, he played on & produced a series of albums on which I was featured, and I spent a happy few years soing shows & festivals round the country with him. I'd recommend Grandson of Morris On - the album cover notes are wonderful - well some of them anyway.

Now. Latin. You don't need to learn it - how many musicians actually know what they're singing. The big question is 'Church or Secular latin pronounciation'.

Have fun.

(* - EDIT - other music download services are available - but don't forget that the poor musos make nothing from free downloads!)
Capers
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I just 'googled' gaudete and you can find the words easily and free MP3s of the tube and Steeleye singing it on a well known website 'you' know well.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Oh dear, I've just listen to that Steely woman kill the song! :shock:

It's the pronunciation I'm concerned about amongst other things. Capers that was NOT kind of you to say secular or church! :? I assume church?

Started of well, but DS2 has just slammed the door and thumped up the stairs. He gets this behaviour from one of his parents! That parent has met his/her match! :roll:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Listen to the Libera version on 'you know where'- you don't necessarily sing the words in the same way that you would speak them.
solimum

Post by solimum »

I taught this to our church youth group for the carol service this year - but we cheated and found some English words for the verses (we did only have one rehearsal!). Keep it moving would be my advice. There are also (at least) two diffferent versions of the tune for the verses - I must confess I have always liked the Steeleye Span version myself, has more of that "earthy" carol flavour and less "high church"

Slightly off topic - did anyone else see that Howard Goodall programme on carols on Christmas Day, BBC2?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

solimum wrote:Slightly off topic - did anyone else see that Howard Goodall programme on carols on Christmas Day, BBC2?
I did - very interesting! I used to hate choral music but its amazing how an interest can develop if one's child is involved.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

solimum wrote:Slightly off topic - did anyone else see that Howard Goodall programme on carols on Christmas Day, BBC2?
Missed it, and was very annoyed that I did so. He has the knack of explaining music theory rather well, and is a good composer.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now