finishing test papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
boneyday44

finishing test papers

Post by boneyday44 »

Ok we have just had the results, our son missed out on passing the 11 plus test, mainly due to a low score in the maths paper.

This we thought was strange, as maths is his best subject.

My guess is that he did not finish the paper, often in practice he would score 40 out off 41 initially, then struggle to finish all the questions.

Is there any way I could find out if he indeed did not finish any of the papers?
any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
boneyday44

finishing test papers

Post by boneyday44 »

Lots of people viewing, but no replies.

Does this mean I am the only parent who suspects their child
did not complete all the test papers, so resulting in a low test score?

Post by Guest »

"Is there any way I could find out if he indeed did not finish any of the papers?
any thoughts on this would be appreciated."

!s there any reason you haven't considered asking him?
boneyday44

finishing test papers

Post by boneyday44 »

Sure I've asked him, and he tells me that he finished all papers.

It's just with his Maths score being lower than the others, and Maths being his best topic, I suspect that he possible did not totally complete the Maths paper.

it would be interesting if we could view all the test papers.
Jed

Post by Jed »

In Bucks (with county-wide 11plus) the fact that a pupil didn't finish a paper is more likely to be taken as negative evidence at appeal rather than positive. I knew our daughter didn't finish any papers by quite a few questions, but our resident appeals expert, Etienne, seems to say that appeal panels mainly take this as a sign that the pupil is NOT up to the pace of a grammar rather than a sign that they are good if only they had finished.

In short, I don't think it's worth persuing. Appeal if you think you're close enough and your son is good enough, but don't try to use unfinished papers as grounds.

Jed
Urmston

Post by Urmston »

My daughter managed to pass, by 4 marks, she's 11 so no allowances. She didn't finish the first paper (VR) - ran out of time and didn't get the chance to return to 3 or 4 questions she passed on, so couldn't even guess (too busy looking at the clock!). However, I believe the Math paper was very difficult - she finished but got a lower score out of the 3 and is considered to be good at this subject.

We now have to wait until March to see if she gets a placement at UGS.
:?
boney

finishing test papers

Post by boney »

Thanks Urmston and Guests for your thoughts.

I original set this question about finishing the maths test paper, out of pure curiosity, it seemed strange to me that our score in the maths was much lower than all the practice scores, in the run in to the test date.

I have no intention of appealing, as I believe he wil be much happier at say BTH, rather than appealing and struggling at a grammer.

Thanks for your opinions.

Good luck to all your children, wherever they may go.

regards.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now