Waiting Game!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JuliaB

Waiting Game!

Post by JuliaB »

Am I alone in watching the calendar waiting for results? I can't believe in 12 days time I'll know whether he's passed or not. If anything I feel worse than I did while doing all the preparation work. My son is also finding it hard to go from doing lots of intensive practice to nothing. Now it's all over he's worn out and does not feel like doing much.

Any advice welcome....

Julia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Julia,

You have all my sympathy. I coped (sort off!) last year by putting my mind on the worse situation (a fail in both Slough and Bucks tests) , and convincing myself that it wouldn't be the end of the world. I came to the conclusion that in that case, it would be down to us, the parents, to make up for the possible imperfections of the school, but that we would make sure that our son wouldn't suffer because of it.

This forum also helped a lot.

Best of luck

Catherine
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

Thanks Catherine for your calm words.

It's a double edged sword, I want to know result, but I know I'll be miserable if he's not successful. Oh dear only 11am and I already need a lie down!

Trying to stay positive!

Julia

Post by Guest »

hi julia,
it's actually 11 days from today! I am also counting! I wish we could have the results tomorrow! just to get it over and done with! The waiting is dreadful ,not knowing! I know the next few days will soon come and before we know it ,it will be the 24th! we are all in the same boat! worried with anxiety! let's pray we will all have cause to celebrate!
usa

Post by usa »

Same over here Julia and Guest - just waiting now. I am not only 7 hours behind you all - I might even have to wait an extra 6 days for the letter to come across the Atlantic all the way over to USA! Now how is that for awful!!
Anyway, keep yourselves occupied - time will soon pass and good luck to you all. We are all in it together.
USA

Post by Guest »

I feel we need an official support group.....surely counselling is available for stressed out parents?? :) I have another child who is currently in year 4, I can't face all this again....!

Julia
JuliaB

Post by JuliaB »

The previous post is mine - sorry I forgot to sign in.

USA I feel for you having to wait an extra week...... can't they get you the result any faster?? I'm so crazy, a friend of mine who has a child in Year 6 told me she was emigrating at Christmas and my first thought was 'oh good, that's one child taken off the 11+ allocation this year' Isn't that awful! I definitely need therapy!

JuliaB
bucksmom

Waiting Game

Post by bucksmom »

10 days to go! my son and i have discuss who opens the envelope, which room, alone, accompanied, wait till dad is home, dont wait till dad is home. how many times i have gone through the what the result will be in my head, i have lost count.
24th will be coming around faster than we can believe. Good luck to all!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I feel we need an official support group.....surely counselling is available for stressed out parents?? I have another child who is currently in year 4, I can't face all this again....!

Julia
We're right here for you Julia - welcome to your support group! For anyone new, my son didn't make the cut last year, we went through an appeal and didn't get it. What advice I can offer is therefore strictly suspect. However, when it comes to knowing how it feels and sympathising I have it all!

In the meantime, the best suggestion I can make is to decide now who is going to open the envelope and when, and then stick to it. I personally take the view that, unless the child comes home from school with it, the parent should "be the adult" and open it in advance themselves - and wait until you are in the safety of your own home to open it. It is not pleasant to see/hear other people celebrating around you when your child has failed.

Also, prepare a celebration regardless of the result - a favourite meal, a trip to the cinema, a "well done little Johnny" balloon for their chair at the kitchen table. Anything that says to the child "whatever the result, I'm so proud of you". Make it a day to remember for something good, not something bad. If they pass as well, it'll be a bonus.

Good luck everyone - Patricia, Etienne, Catherine, me and many other regulars will be here on Results Day to help you out.

Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi usa

A tip for you - I believe that you may be able to email the LEA to get the result, as you are overseas. You may need to contact Admissions in advance to arrange it, and chase them afterwards, but it's worth a try? Better than suffering postal delays ...

Good luck!
Sally-Anne