How to express opposition to the new admissions policy-

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jacquie

How to express opposition to the new admissions policy-

Post by jacquie »

ADMISSIONS POLICY DECIDED BY SCHOOLS GOVERNING BODY
I been asked to pass on this information, after a discussion this morning with a parent.

We both agreed we were surprised at how little complaint there has been against the adjudicator's decision. This concerned the new catchment proposals, excluding Daventry and some of Warwickshire , from first round offers for the Grammar School places. Lawrence Sheriff are still IN DISCUSSION about how they will respond.

The parent suggested that now is the time to COMPLAIN and MAKE VIEWS KNOWN! BUT HOW DO YOU COMPLAIN AND TO WHOM?

There is now, a small window of time before implementation of the decision. The best way to voice complaints about the adjudicator's decision would be to write to the schools RHS and LSS. according to The Headmaster of LSS, Dr. Kent. His PA, says all letters for LSS should be addressed to Dr. Kent, as in the end, the admissions policy is decided by the school's governing body. There will be a review during this term.

Dr. Peter Kent
Headteacher
Lawrence Sheriff School
Clifton Rd
Rugby
CV21 3AG

The parent asked me to pass this information on. The only chance you have to influence this ruling, is for all affected gather together and shout loudly in the right direction! IT IS IMPORTANT TO WRITE NOW! Both to Rugby High and Lawrence Sheriff. PARENTAL CHOICE IS SUPPOSED TO COUNT!
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

I have a pdf of Lawrence Sheriff's Headmasters letter to parents, regarding the 11+admissions challenge for Warwicks/Daventry.. Anyone know how I can put this on the forum?
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

I'd be interested to see the letter jacquie, perhaps you could just cut & paste the contents?

I have yet to find a Rugbyite who opposes the ruling. The general consensus seems to be that Rugby schools should really be for Rugby children. The squeeze on places caused by 1) the closure of Bishop Wolston and 2) apparently never ending new-build housing estates, has resulted in many local children being offered places as far away as Leamington, Coventry and Nuneaton.

I don't think you'll find many Rugby dwellers joining your crusade.

Regarding parental choice; we had none. If you didn't get into grammar, you were offered your 'priority area' school (as long as it wasn't oversubscribed), regardless of what was entered on the CAF. Parental choice is a myth, in this area at least (imho).
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

If Lawrence Sherriff want to challenge the Adjudicator's decision by way of Judicial Review, they must lodge an application for Judicial Review by 24 January (3 months after the decision was published). Otherwise they're stuck with abiding by it and therefore, in particular, as I read the decision, drastically reducing their Daventry intake. I wonder if LSS is aware of this deadline?
Loopy
WP

Post by WP »

Judicial review is a very expensive option, and the adjudicator's decision seems to be with the broad discretion afforded him, i.e. difficult to overturn at review. And even if it is overturned on review, it just gets sent back for another adjudication.

I suspect that what is happening is that the schools are in the midst for determining their admission arrangements for September 2010 entry, and are deciding how far they are willing to bend to accommodate the decision. The risk is that they will find themselves before another adjudicator this year, and have their admissions arrangements re-written and fixed for 3 years.
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

Charlotte67 wrote:I'd be interested to see the letter jacquie, perhaps you could just cut & paste the contents?

I have yet to find a Rugbyite who opposes the ruling. The general consensus seems to be that Rugby schools should really be for Rugby children. The squeeze on places caused by 1) the closure of Bishop Wolston and 2) apparently never ending new-build housing estates, has resulted in many local children being offered places as far away as Leamington, Coventry and Nuneaton.

I don't think you'll find many Rugby dwellers joining your crusade.

Regarding parental choice; we had none. If you didn't get into grammar, you were offered your 'priority area' school (as long as it wasn't oversubscribed), regardless of what was entered on the CAF. Parental choice is a myth, in this area at least (imho).
Hi Charlotte. I cannnot cut and paste it because it is a pdf document. That was why I asked! It isnt my crusade, I was asked by a parent to post this, as I explained. Neither would I expect Rugby people to join, it is of little interest to them. however, the schools may not be so happy in Rugby , since this will unbalance the non grammar schools, taking their top pupils.

I also know from experience, over the last 12 years, Daventry people have little idea of how the 11 plus works. I generally have a lot of enquiries in late spring and summer, so it is important to try and get the news out there before deadlines have past. I'd rather not be explaining all this again, to even more desperate parents in June, who didnt realise this had happened. I'm explaining it daily and taking a lot of time with callers at the moment- these people have no idea about the change! Hence my wish to publicise it! I am also just passing on the desperation felt by some parents of my pupils. I am sure this will work out in a couple of years-through political change or readjustment, for me personally, it is c'est la vie. It does not affect my work. But that doesnt help current pupils, whose parents do care and want to know what to do about it..

Many of my pupils , from Daventry and surrounding out of catchment areas, each year come in the top 20, and regularly in the top 10, 11 plus candidates. The Rugby Grammar schools will miss the calibre of candidates of this type.

If you feel you have no parental choice then do something about it. It is not supposed to be a myth!
It will be interesting to see what happens.
People will probably just move and rent for the appropriate period!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

People will probably just move and rent for the appropriate period!

Yep!!!
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Jacquie, I am no computer genius but I have copied & pasted from pdf files many a time so I'm a bit confused as to what you mean.

I am rather surprised that you think the schools don't find that calibre of child in Rugby.

And somewhat taken aback by the tone of your post - perhaps you have misunderstood mine?

As to parental choice - I was really taking on behalf of others who were offered schools as much as 20 miles away.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

I have to say that I agree with charlotte67 - I would be surprised if you could find support from Rugbians given that we are experiencing a shortage of secondary school places (last year children were given given places at schools in Coventry despite having chosen local schools).
jacquie

Post by jacquie »

It must be very confusing for those in Napton, Crick, Stockton, Barby , Kilsby, etc etc...villages that are now excluded from the first round...many have Rugby postcodes and certainly live nearer to the schools than many who are in the new catchment. But hey, I have no axe to grind here, just passing on a request.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now