Appeal Speech Notes

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pip

Appeal Speech Notes

Post by Pip »

We are planning to make our case at our appeal hearing - Bucks 11+ - by reading out a prepared speech - approx 6 mins, plus 1 min for the later summary. We have attempted to make our speech factual and concise, and with as little supposition as possible. We are bringing along copies of this speech for the panel. My gut feel is to provide the copies afterwards, rather than before our speech. The thinking here is to avoid panel members reading the notes while we are speaking, and therefore not listening to us! Is this a wise approach? Thanks, Pip.
Thanks,
Pip
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Pip

I don't think it matters too much. I'm sure the panel will listen carefully with or without a copy of the script.

If I were you, I would offer the clerk a copy before you start your speech - it will save him/her having to take notes.

I would then say to the panel: "I have copies for you as well if they would help. Would you like them now or afterwards?"
Etienne
Pip

Appeal Speech Notes

Post by Pip »

Many thanks for the guidance!

Regards,
Pip
Thanks,
Pip
Hope

Post by Hope »

Hi Pip

Last year we did exactly what Etienne has suggested, the clerk seemed pleased to have a copy so she didn't have to write everything down and the panel had their copies after i had read it.

Good luck with the appeal.

Hope
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's also reassuring to know that, if you give a copy of your speech to the clerk, there can be no dispute at a later date about the points you put forward at the hearing for the panel to consider.

(Every year the ombudsman gets complaints from parents who believe that the clerk's notes do not accurately reflect what they said. Clerks are not allowed to use shorthand, so their notes are not expected to be verbatim. They do their best to record all the key points, but it's not an easy task.)
Etienne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Etienne wrote:It's also reassuring to know that, if you give a copy of your speech to the clerk, there can be no dispute at a later date about the points you put forward at the hearing for the panel to consider.

(Every year the ombudsman gets complaints from parents who believe that the clerk's notes do not accurately reflect what they said. Clerks are not allowed to use shorthand, so their notes are not expected to be verbatim. They do their best to record all the key points, but it's not an easy task.)
I’m slightly surprised in this day and age that they don’t just tape all the appeals – I always do this when I’m interviewing someone, whether over the telephone or face to face, for precisely that reason, to avoid any possibility of dispute over what was actually said.

I guess taking your own mini recorder to an Appeal could be construed as a little confrontational… :lol: :lol:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:It's also reassuring to know that, if you give a copy of your speech to the clerk, there can be no dispute at a later date about the points you put forward at the hearing for the panel to consider.
Don't forget that the panel members may also make individual 'working' notes - these are destroyed after the appeal.

In Gloucestershire, for appeals handled by the County, we have a useful form that's completed for each appeal. It summarises what points the parents have raised, asks if the admission procedure was carried out correctly and the like. The clerk uses that to write the letter to the parents.

Occasionally parents might come up with lots and lots of points & reasons. We will consider all of them, but it would be unreasonable for every single point to be listed on the 'appeal results' letter. If you hand out a copy of your speech, then at least they will be part of the official record.
Capers
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Rob
Rob Clark wrote:I’m slightly surprised in this day and age that they don’t just tape all the appeals
I think it would add very considerably to parental stress!

Sally-Anne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Don't forget that the panel members may also make individual 'working' notes - these are destroyed after the appeal.
.... which is why the clerk's records are so important.
I’m slightly surprised in this day and age that they don’t just tape all the appeals
The hearing is meant to be as informal as possible (although a degree of formality is inevitable, as those who've been through the process will testify!).

If every word were taped, it would really put the frighteners on everyone, including panel members! :D

The Code of Practice says:
It is important that the conduct of hearings is based on fairness and creates an informal atmosphere. Informality will be difficult to achieve if, for example, the hearing is tape-recorded and this ought to be avoided except where it may help an appellant with a disability.
Etienne
Pip

Appeal speech notes

Post by Pip »

A quick thank you to the 'Elevenplusexams' forum. Our appeal was successful and we are absolutely delighted. We have found this forum an excellent source of advice, information and reassurance! We came out not knowing whether we'd done enough - credit to the panel for not giving anything away! - and we were then convinced we were not going to be successful. The moral of the story is don't give up, and be as natural and honest in the appeal as possible. Our Bucks appeal panel conducted matters in a friendly and sensitive way, and made a very difficult and anxious scenario easier. Thanks again and good luck to everybody else. Pip
Thanks,
Pip