habs 11 plus exam

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dylanshyam

habs 11 plus exam

Post by dylanshyam »

hi
first time on this website - excellent forum
my son just sat the habs exam today. he was not confident after the event. he found english quite ok but maths was difficult. how did others find it??
sitting second round qe on monday - any tips?
thanks
dips 8)
dips
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi,

My DS sat the Habs too. Not that it's much to go by :roll: but he seemed to think the English was straightforward and the maths was ok. Having said that he didn't manage to answer the last question. So am now waiting to hear if he gets an interview or not!!

If you take a look on this thread there are some QE threads with some tips for the second round - take a look at those. I am technically incapable so am unable to post them on this message - I am a bag of nerves!!!

Regards
Coolmum
mich16

Habs Exam 9 Jan 2009

Post by mich16 »

Hi,

My first time on here too! My son sat Habs last Friday and found the Maths easy, English ok but disaster struck on the VR - 75 questions in 30 mins and he only did 37 even though he said they were easy... I wonder if they consider if 2 papers are good. He has a sibling in the girl's school so praying that will hold some weight.

From listening to kids coming out of the exam most were saying Maths hard and VR too many questions to finish. The fact my son found Maths easy is worrying as well!!!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi ,
Not wishing to be negative but I wouldnt hold out much hope if your DS missed out that many questions.
Habs is fiercely competitive and there are many very clever boys after the places.
Good Luck.
Zorro
mich16

Post by mich16 »

Thanks for the vote of confidence!! I guess we'll wait and see. His other two papers seemed good and I have heard since other kids who didn't complete the VR have been offered places.

Will keep my eyes peeled for the post!

How long after the exam until you hear if they get an interview?
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Mich16

The interview letters should be received by Monday 19th Jan and interviews commence between 21st and 28th January. i think they are posted out Thursday but don't quote me on that!!!

We are managing to convince ourselves that DS has got to interview stage and then the equal and opposite on a daily basis since he sat it!!! This is pure torture!!

Did your DS sit MT too?
mich16

Post by mich16 »

They have no idea what they put us parents through!!! I'm having several nervous breakdowns each day not to mention night sweats and constant butterflies!

I heard that all siblings get interviewed so am hoping this is the case. My son is extremely bright and I have been reassured by his head mistress not to worry about the VR. It is just typical this is the one paper he didn't finish as he excels every week in class in VR.

I think we can all drive ourselves mad with worry but what will be will be, it's not in our hands now.

We can now spend the next few days waiting for the postman. When my daughter got her interview at Habs Girls they actually called me so I wonder if we will be called or written to.
mich16

Post by mich16 »

Sorry, forgot to answer the last part... yes he did sit MT what about you?

He said the English was slightly harder than Habs and the Maths was ok. At least he almost finished the VR.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi Mich16

DS did sit MT and said he found them ok, he said that the questions got harder as they went along and he managed to finish all the papers - the VR with (in his words) 5 mins to spare :shock: - I think it was probably 1 minute :wink: !

However today he was declaring all sorts of stuff that he might not have answered correctly and is driving me very close to a heart attack!!

He didn't manage to answer the last 3 VR questions at Habs and when I looked shocked he said in a very blase fashion that the examiner said that not many boys do manage to finish all the questions.

RE the sibling policy - it does say on the Habs boys website that if there is a sibling already at either the school then they will automatically interview the candidate but is still no guarentee of a place so you should be ok for that stage.
mich16

Post by mich16 »

At least your son is giving you some information...I'm clueless, everytime I ask him what he has done he tells me to 'leave him alone!" The only thing he keeps saying is Maths at Habs was easy and he finished with 12 minutes spare to check his work - not sure this is good or bad. We are all in the dark as to what our boys have actually done as I think it changes from day to day.

I do remember when I visited the school the admissions secretary said all siblings are interviewed unless they fail really badly and if that is the case we are called and told they failed...think I may avoid answering my phone over the next few days.

It sounds like your son is quite confident and should have done well! Which school is your first preference?