Merchant Taylors

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hertsmum

Merchant Taylors

Post by hertsmum »

Hi
Has anybody heard from the school regarding interviews. The exams were on Tuesday last week. My DS found the maths hard. I was told they can call or post interview letters. Not sure whether to to still hope for the letter/call or give up on it.

thanks
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Don't give up hope!!!

I just spoke to someone whose boys go there now and was told that it should be sometime this week that we find out re interviews.

regards
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

One of the boys in my DS class had a phone call about 1 hr ago for an interview! :shock:

We havn't had one yet - not sure if that means anything!!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Don't worry, they must have well over 100+ calls to make! :)
hertsmum

Post by hertsmum »

Hi
After a nervous wait, finally got the letter for interview.
Just a few queries:
The accompanying leaflet suggests that we as parents may want to meet the head and to make an appointment, preferably on a different date. Is this usual, any comments /advice from past Merchant Taylor parents appreciated.
Also I would be taking my DS from school, would it be ok if he went in his
school uniform or would he stand out.
Any comments appreciated.
Many thanks
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Well done herstmum's son! :D

I'm assuming everyone has different interview times and most pupils will be in uniform if it is a school day. In my son's school they are made to wear their "best" uniform (tweed jacket and different shirt) when going for an interview even if its not on a school day! :o Go and see the head, it shows that you are interested! I was just saying to my husband the other day that E and W expect parents to part with £30k per annum and you never get to meet the head. If my son passes the pre-test then I will be insisting that I meet him.
vas

Post by vas »

Not a mt parent, but went through the process last year. This is a standard interview letter. If you are seriously thinking on MT and want to meet the head you should make an appointment as you don't get to meet any one on the interview day. We didn't make an appointment to meet him.Only your son will be accompanied either by a teacher or the head for a 20 min interview while you wait. So there is no need for both parents.

School uniform is fine, I did the same and you don't see many kids anyway to stand out. Whatever he is comfortable in.

Good luck and keep slightly up to date with current figures. Last year they gave some photos and asked my son to name them. Hammend, Obama etc.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi everyone,

Congrates to everyone whose DS's have got to the interviews, we also received our letter today with interview details, so am happy for my DS.

We will have to 'prep up' my DS on current living personalities as when we went their Open day he seemed to know all the 'dead' people but wasn't too sure of the living ones!! :shock:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now