I'm looking for a 'b' plan

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wordbird

I'm looking for a 'b' plan

Post by Wordbird »

My child has just completed all his 11+ exams for a mix of 'hard-to-get-into' state and independent schools in London. He is a bright boy, but our strategy was maybe overambitious and I am now worried that we will be left with an unacceptable State option only. I would like to develop a 'B' plan looking at prep schools, switching at 13+. Am I far too late to do this? Are there any schools that pick up these types of candidates? Having been in the state sector, this is a whole new world to me!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Wordbird,

Pop over to the independent section and let us know what you want , where you want your child to go on to, your location and what you can afford and we'll all try and help out!

Tipsy :D

EDIT: Meant to add it's not too late!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

rarely too late with these things!!

lots of prep schools who take kids to 13 will be losing them at 11 to GS, they will often be happy to have a few coming in at 11 to swell the numbers.
zorro

Post by zorro »

I had this as a back-up plan in case DS didn't pass Indie exams.
Where do you live?
I went to Open Days (2) in Feb just before offer letters went out.
Fortunately we didn't need this option but 2 boys from DS's old school did and are now in Y8 ( they failed entrance exams at 11plus and are taking 13+)

Zorro
Wordbird

Post by Wordbird »

Thanks for your speedy replies. Sounds like I need to stop panicking and take action now! I am in London SW11 which has good travel links to Wimbledon, Richmond, Kingston etc. I would also consider weekly boarding further afield.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Hi Wordbird,

If you opt for a 13+ school would you consider a senior boarding school or do you want to send him to a London senior school. I mention it because if you opt for a boarding school a short distance from London then although they can send to schools in London they tend to send to boarding schools.

Off the top of my head the very good 13+ day schools possibly in your area are:

Millbourne Lodge, Esher
Northcote Lodge, Wandsworth Common
Shrewsbury House, Surbiton
Rokeby, Kingston
Cumnor House, Purley

Boarding schools I would recommend because I have been there and they have very small class sizes so could get him up to speed in two years are:

Sunningdale School, Sunningdale
Woodcote House, Windlesham
Cottesmore, Pease Pottage (this school is really nice)

PM me if you wish, but if you go into ISC.CO.UK nd stick your postcode into the search map iot will come up with schools in your area. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now