OMG!! HELP - What Do I Do Now??????????

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

OMG!! HELP - What Do I Do Now??????????

Post by Snowdrops »

Just back from DD's interview all seemed to go well, she gave some cracking responses to the questions and if I could remember what she told me I'd tell you - shall have to go over it again with her tonight.

My scream for help (and this is why I can't remember anything else which she told me :cry: ) is one of the questions was: 'Have you sat any other entrance exams? To which she responded 'Yes, I sat the 11+'. He then enquired if she'd passed it and she confirmed she had.

He came out at the end (after all but ignoring me, apart from saying hello when I got there, but I didn't mind that, it was all about DD today) and pointedly said, what is your criteria for accepting this school? I said I didn't understand his line of questioning (I really didn't know where he was going with it) and he said 'I understand you've already had an offer from another school'.

Well this completely threw me because we haven't had ANY offers. Yes DD has passed 11+ but as we all know allocations aren't for another 5 weeks or so, and even then we are OoC, so it's a long shot for us.

My response (in my confusion of not really understanding why he was saying this and not wanting to seem stupid/show dd up) was to say we didn't have any criteria, we were just waiting for all offers to come in and would make our minds up then.

Now, once I got dd outside I could question her and it all dawned on me then, he's put two and two together and come up with 7.

Do I now ring him up desperately (he did assure me if I had ANY questions at all I could call him at any time) and explain to him we haven't had any offers, in case he's thinking they don't want to compete for her. Or do we play the long shot and hope against hope that DD's done so well they'll be desperate to get her??

Everyone's opinions and advice is greatly needed here PLEASE!

If you think I was panicking before it was nothing compared to this.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
mad?

Post by mad? »

Oh dear I'm not surprised you are panicking, I would be - indeed am!

It is a shame he was obtuse in his line of questioning because as a result he has got the wrong information. I can understand what he wanted to find out but it does appear he made have made an erroneous assumption here. My gut feel would be to call/drop a line to the registrar and 'clarify the misunderstanding'. More importantly my gut feel would be to try not to act on my gut feel and sit back and have a think about it and wait for some advice from someone calmer than me!

good luck...
mad?
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

IMHO

You play it cool. If they want DD they will make you an offer.

The assumption will be that despite your 11+ you are attending for interview and must therefore have some motive for being there.

It would of course help you to work out your criteria so you can decide yourself!

We were in a similar situtation and got offers from all schools despite telling each one we were applying for other very similar schools.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
PapaM

Post by PapaM »

I too would be interested in knowing what some of the more experienced people here have to say but here's my 2 cents worth....

as an outsider/onlooker/spectator, it seems to me that it doesn't say much for that particular interviewer(and therefore maybe even school???) that they don't know the allocations are still not known for a few more weeks!!! Are there any other schools in your area that allocate before then? Anyway, enough with the "ranting" (I hate it when people that should know, don't!)......but, personally, I'd suggest you call them up and try and speak to that particular person OR even make a special trip to the school and explain the ambiguity (or what he has understood incorrectly)...of course, u'll have to be polite cos "of course, they're never wrong" etc...also, seems a bit too manipulative of them to try and get such information off a 10/11 yr old!

Hope u can sort it...I'm sure u will! :)
PapaM
mad?

Post by mad? »

Having re-read your post - he stressed you should feel free to call - so I would. Just to clear up the misunderstanding and to clarify the OOC situation. These schools are used to being used as back up and I guess want to have an idea of how many people to offer based on how likely they are to accept.

After that, the valium and gin you mentioned on your other thread seems like a good idea...
mad?
mad?

Post by mad? »

on second thoughts - play it cool - if you can -
mad?
PapaM

Post by PapaM »

oh, and another thing.....

if/when you do contact the "genius" interviewer, can you perhaps find out why he actually thought you had a place offered already cos as we all know (that's actually quoting you! :wink: ) ;
1) offers not made for another few weeks 8)
2) he isn't 10 or 11 unless there's something u ain't telling us! :lol:
PapaM
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Just called the head of her current school and he's no wiser than us as to what to do, but did suggest if I called I emphasised their strengths as being why we wanted DD to go there.

He agreed it's the devil and the deep blue sea and there's no easy answer!!

OK so now I'm looking for suggested wording 'in case' I do make a phone call.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I do sooooo want to play it cool ........................ but what if he thinks he can do without her and she doesn't get offerred a place!!

I do remember DD saying something about one of her interests and they had a deep and meaningful conversation about. He told her she was curious - her current head thinks that's good!!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

What a bl**dy cheek!

Your response depends on how much you would want this school if she doesn't get into GS. Even if he has left a bad taste in your mouth remember all the good things about the school, and don't be put off - eventhough I think he was out of line! :x

If you want DD to go to this school drop an email stating that although DD had sat the 11+ she is out of catchment and you feel it is unlikely she will get a place. Mention again that you have not had any offers and have not made any decisions into your school preference as yet (eventhough you have). My immediate thought is that he will ask you to accept the place before the 11+ allocations. :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now