Scores required on common entrance?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
traceywhyte17

Scores required on common entrance?

Post by traceywhyte17 »

Does anyone know an estimate of what scores are required on common entrance exam to receive an offer? It will just give us an idea of what my son needs to work towards on the day. He has been practising with papers and online and doing okay but it would be helpful to know if we are on the right track and in with a chance :!: First exam is this Saturday so we are down to the wire now! :?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

What school is he applying for?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

It does very much depend upon the school. For my son's school, for example, they have quite a low pass mark (55%?). However, for the day pupils this mark is much higher (competition for spaces as only one day house for each gender).
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Agree absolutely with Ed'sMum, it depends so much on the school. If you really need a number I've always taken 60% as a good "rule of thumb".
Loopy
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

The common entrance passmark is 50% but a number of schools have a slightly higher pass mark of 55% and the very selective schools i.e. St Paul's, Westminster, Winchester require a minimum of 70% in every subject, whereas many schools accept an average pass mark.

If you pm me the school I can tell you its passmark, however surely the school would be able to tell you this and would also be telling your son how he is doing with his tests?
traceywhyte17

Post by traceywhyte17 »

They are in Lancashire.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Rossall is generally fairly easy to get in to and of the three it is the only one with an entry in the good schools guide.
Thea

Post by Thea »

Tipsy - how DO you know all this stuff :lol:
Best Regards,
Thea
traceywhyte17

Post by traceywhyte17 »

Thanks T.I.P.S.Y for your info :!: That has been very helpful as it just gives me a general ball park idea. Is a lot of exams to get in there tho, maths, english, VR + NVR on 31st January and if son does ok in them then on 2nd Feb is back for further maths + english exams, interview + presentation!
solimum

Post by solimum »

Does T.I.P.S.Y. stand for The Independent & Private School Yearbook??? :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now