Herts 'familiarisation' VR test and score standardisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stig

Herts 'familiarisation' VR test and score standardisation

Post by Stig »

Does anybody know if the SW Herts consortium tests for Watford Boys/Parmiters/Queens etc. use standardised scores (weighted for age)?

Also...

Just received the invitation for my son to sit the tests. It talks of a 1 hour 15 minute verbal reasoning test of which 30 minutes is for familiarisation.

Can anyone explain what this familiarisation is all about? Did this happen last year?
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Stig,

I do not know if standardized scores are used for Herts, it is generally acknowledged that you do need to be scoring in the 90% + range to get into either Grammars or Parmiters.

The familiarization didn't happen last year, suggest that you ring admissions at one of your chosen schools and ask about it.

I think that it is quite unsettling for children to be effectively doing a practise paper immediately before hand. I would ask if the familiarization paper can be taken away, will be marked at any time, has any bearing on the results of the final test, and what its standard it is in relation to the actual test.

Sorry can't be of more help.

HP
Wrong Planet

Re: Herts 'familiarisation' VR test and score standardisatio

Post by Wrong Planet »

Stig wrote:Does anybody know if the SW Herts consortium tests for Watford Boys/Parmiters/Queens etc. use standardised scores (weighted for age)?
I understand that scores are age-standardised, though I have not seen anything official confirming this.

Stig wrote:Can anyone explain what this familiarisation is all about? Did this happen last year?
I would be very interested to know too! It seems to me that they are prolonging the test for no particularly good reason. Perhaps it is meant to level the playing field for those who have been not been 'prepared'.

Wrong Planet
Stig

Re: 'familiarisation'

Post by Stig »

I have just spoken to Queens admissions and they tell me that the kids get half an hour to 'familiarise' themselves with the paper before being asked to complete it in 45 minutes!!

What is that all about?????

Anyone else heard this?
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

If its anything like the Bucks late transfer test, the following will apply.

The school will assume that your child has had no formal preparation [ because of course your child does not need it, according to NFER and the schools!....Joke over!]

The familarisation is therefore to show your child what to do, if its multiple choice, how to answer on the sheet. They will also probably go through each type of question, explaining what is required.

Patricia
Stig

Standardisation

Post by Stig »

I've now found out from Queens admissions that last year's results were standardised for age.
watfordparent

familiarisation

Post by watfordparent »

Does this mean that they get to look over the vr paper for 30 minutes before they can begin to answer or is there a separate practice paper?

The letter is hopelessly unclear and sampl questions they sent a joke. You would have though that they would send a Maths and VR paper which actually LOOKS like the real test.
Stressed Stig

Looking over the paper

Post by Stressed Stig »

From discussions with Queens admissions it seems that they don't actually look over the paper they are about to do. Rather they are talked through how to do some example questions etc.

And yes - the samples are less than adequate.

Finally - if NFER advise that kids don't need to practise for their tests then why do they publish so many familiarisation papers?????
Watford worrier

Re: Looking over the paper

Post by Watford worrier »

Thanks for the info from Queens.
Stressed Stig wrote:And yes - the samples are less than adequate.

Finally - if NFER advise that kids don't need to practise for their tests then why do they publish so many familiarisation papers?????
NFER's view doesn't accord with my experience, but it is a little more subtle than that, and certainly not reflected in what the schools are doing. It is disconcerting to see intellectual dishonesty coming from schools.

Post by Guest »

Can anyone tell me how they standardise the score by age. What does it mean in terms of birth month, i.e what are the dividing lines. Thank you. Good luck to all and figers crossed. Looking forward to saying goodbye to this shaddow and having our kid enjoy the rest of her time at junior school.